SA quail

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Christelle, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Christelle

Christelle Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hello all. I am a quail breeder from South Africa. Quail industry here is booming breathtakingly fast. Competition sprouting up around every corner. So in order for me to stay in the game i really need to step up on my own game. I have read about the colossal quail. That is much bigger than any variety avaiable here. Does anybody know what the possibility will be to import eggs from oz?

2. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    There's someone allegedly already selling fertilised eggs on Gumtree from Keperra Brisbane. (Giant and colossal)
    There was also a lady who's bred enormous quail (Japanese) but hers are all pets (though I'm sure they'd be delicious) - I can't remember Mark if this was someone you talked to or about on this site or if I found that googling around elsewhere. From memory she's just been using selective breeding of Japanese quail...but possibly that's all the "Giant" or "Colossal" ones are anyway. To be honest, when I eat quail I have a certain expectation as to size. If something the size of a spatchcock come out I'd be quite disappointed. I get that the processing costs per kg would be less...but, well - bigger isn't always better in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome Christelle :)

There was a colossal quail breeder here locally but they gave up the business due to health reasons - their breeding stock went back a long way. I visited their quail farm a few years ago.

Basically, to grow bigger quail they used selective breeding with the naturally larger birds to progressively get them larger. There are problems though, and the main one is crippling as the birds get too big for their legs.

Honestly, I would aim at birds 250 -320 grams and concentrate on good quality stock. The A&M white quail do have a whiter meat and a less gamey taste so perhaps that's a market to explore?

Quail meat is denser than chicken so people often feel fuller eating less of this type of poultry - food for thought... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1