May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Mark submitted a new Showcase Item:

Rooster Soup With Kidney Beans, Spinach, & Rice - Recipe
Rooster soup with kidney beans spinach and rice in bowl 300.jpg

Some people disregard roosters as not worthy of eating but the truth is more people eat roosters around the world than those who don't because at the end of the day a rooster is a chicken and if cooked correctly is a tasty dish.

Whenever chickens are hatched out it's likely they won't all be girls (especially backyard hatcheries) so what to do with a bunch of boy chooks? Give them a good and happy short life and eat'em!

The reason why roosters have a bad name for eating is because people cook them incorrectly. Rooster meat is not necessarily "gamey" (you could call it that and I have too) but really they are leaner and a little tougher than a standard meat chicken. Therefore, the worst way people can cook a rooster is by roasting unless real care is taken not to dry out the bird during the process.

I quite like the famous French dish Coq au vin (rooster cooked in wine) but there are plenty of other ways to make a great feed out of a humble rooster and my rooster soup is one them even if I do say so :)

This recipe can obviously be done with any chicken and it practically is one-pot cooking for less mess whilst still remaining a tasty and full meal for up to 6 people. The reason we love this recipe besides the big flavours is because of its practical use of the full bird, low cost meal, and low mess cooking.

See the other tab for the ingredients and method.
Read more about this showcase item here...

Reactions: Joseph Isaac

becky3086

Premium Member
Nov 11, 2012
I have had many very good roosters. I will never forget when my daughter-in-law lived with me and I went out and butchered one of the roosters. The next day I made chicken soup and the day after I made a casserole with the rest of the chicken. A few days later we were in the car and we were talking about soup and she happened to mention how good my chicken soup had been so I just had to let her know that it was made from the rooster I butchered in the yard. She said, "What?!!" Then I had to tell her the casserole was made from it as well. She was quite for a minute and then she finally gave in and said, "Well, they were good anyway." :)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Some people can be a little queasy about eating home grown poultry but most I've cooked for love it.

I can't say the same for myself however because I still have a small attachment to the bird due to me being the one who slaughtered it... Weird I know :D

Nevertheless, I don't have any trouble eating anything I process from the pen to the plate it's just that I sometimes overthink the "doing the deed" lol.

Reactions: armysnail