Sub-Tropical
    Mark submitted a new showcase item:

Raised Quail Cage Hutch Made From Kids Swing Set With Auto Drinker

Read more about this showcase item...

2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Great write up Mark, and good that you included the "see next tab" .. it's not always obvious for people that don't know the system.

Now you've got me thinking I should get some Quail :dunno: ... Have you ever put a Quail and Chicken together to see if they get along (not try to kill each other?)

3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks Stevo - appreciate it.

Correct. The chickens won't necessarily actively chase the quail but will probably kill the quail eventually. The real problem with keeping quail in a typical chicken environment is the quail getting attacked by other creatures. Unfortunately, rats, small snakes, hawks, owls, and just about everything else find quail irresistible so the only way to house them is in a pen or cage which excludes all predators completely.

Yesterday, I came eyeball to eyeball with a hawk that wouldn't leave the cage - he was obsessed trying to workout a way to get to the quail. Beautiful bird (wish I had my camera on me) :pic:he just stayed looking at me from about 2 m away as I collected the eggs. At night, I've seen several owls salivating on a fence post or tree branch wishing they could have a quail snack and I've had to bugger-off two pythons in the last 12 months curled up at the base of my main pen because they'd given up trying to get in through the night. The worst are rats because they will attack quail in packs like mini dogs and rip one quail to bits overnight. Quail will actively kill mice though - there's some real hatred between rodents and quail for some reason...

4. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    You place sounds like a wildlife sanctuary. Are they a specific breed of Quail? Where would be the place to buy them from?

5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical

Not quite a wildlife sanctuary but getting close :D My breeds are a mix of my own cross breeding and the following: Italian quail (greyish), Texas A&M (white ones), Tuxedo (black with white chest), and standard Jap quail (hard to see speckled brown/grey).

Breeding season is over until spring but since you live nearby, I'm happy to give you some if you want to hold-on until my next hatching batch?

6. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I'd be pretty interested in that, and the process aswell. I'm quite happy to give things a timeline, gives me time to prepare :cheers:

7. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical

No worries then - I'll let you know when my next lot are in the brooder :cheers: Rumbo's Friday night I assume? I'm having a beer :)

8. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    yes, rumbo friday... it's my relief, ... i go to work in the dark, i get home in the dark, by friday i'm a bit "over it" . friday is my relax night,. bit of geeking, website stuff. Forecast was for rain, so i think i'll tinker wih small stuff this weekend, i should still get some good stuff done though. ... , at work i think of things i can grow and do, self sufficient stuff. .. work provides the means of doing it, so it may be wierd, but it's all very exciting as there's always a new project ... :cheers:

9. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    hrm, i better find a spot to put them, and build some kind of structure. (added to list of things to do)

maybe by then i can give you some home brews :D

10. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I wouldn't knock it back (home brew) :cheers:

There's several different ways to go when considering where to keep quail - run, cage, stand, etc. The commercial cages are way... way... way... too expensive. Not as much fun as building your own either :)

11. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I looked at some commercial chook coops before i made mine, they were pretty small and to buy a size you're happy with costs heaps. For the same money you could buy all the materials, the chickens, the feed and a welder!

12. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Very true... There are some real classic rip-offs out there on the "hot deal" sites which plug these cute flat pack coops but they are small in real life and poorly designed mostly.

13. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Mark updated Raised Quail Cage Hutch Made From Kids Swing Set With Auto Drinker
    *Added a video :)
    View updates to this showcase item...

14. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    i like the half pvc feeder, i might have to try that. How about putting wheels on one end of the swing set, a cross bar on the other end to use as a handle, and then you can wheel it around, mobile poo dispenser :cheers:

15. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That would be so much easier than moving it by hand with the help of the "cheese & kisses." Yeah, wheels would be good for this type of design.

Also, a catchment tray/s could be made underneath for the poop collection and then emptied into the compost occasionally.

16. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

Great idea this setup Mark.
    Speaking of poop, are quail's as big of a poop-machine as chooks? (relatively speaking of course, body size taken into consideration)
    I mean, i've heard that chooks are just super efficient at making large amounts of poop. Are quails similar?
    My sister lives in suburbia in Adelaide and has 2 or 3 chooks that roam her front yard. She says it's a constant battle to clean it up constantly due to how much they produce.

17. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes Steve, quail produce a heck of a lot of dooda for their size :shock:

Quail manure is also higher in protein than chicken manure because they tend to eat more protein and less grass etc - still high in nitrogen though and good for the garden but probably more potent than chicken poop. Both manures are valuable in the garden.

Quail manure also tends to smell worse than chicken but not overly offensively. If it's managed correctly and cleaned up to be composted or buried in the garden regularly quail poop is top stuff. I have a cousin who keeps quail inside in a bird cage with litter on the bottom as pets. It's just a matter of changing the litter once a week etc (depending on the amount of birds) and that's it.

Letting poultry roam on a small suburban block can become a little messy and hard work especially if the area is commonly shared with people. I'd be inclined to build a chicken run (like Stevo's) and then restrict access to the yard. Then, it's just a matter of raking up the litter in the run once a week and using it as a fertiliser mulch on the garden.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I said I'd let you know @stevo when I was making more quail chicks so this batch will be in the incubator in about 7 day's.

Happy to give you some like I said but it's totally up to you of course.

19. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I cut and pasted your comment from under the Showcase into it's discussion thread @Greyyowl because it's easier for me to respond in this area that's all.

I'm glad you liked my quail swing set idea - I just couldn't bear letting a perfectly good low rust frame go to the dump :D Good luck with your build it sounds like it'll be quail swing set version 2 improved! Pics please!

The most common quail (coturnix Japanese quail or pharaoh quail) is probably what you're after as they are well adapt to smaller spaces and it's what I used my swing set for.

The mesh floor is fine for quail as they don't perch anyway but some people use a tray floor system with litter, either way, their feet and legs will be fine. They are commonly used as "clean-up" bird for the bottom of aviaries scavenging the dropped feed.

Yesterday I purchased several jumbo quail from a professional breeder in Elimbah (Glenys & Jo - now members of SSC) who are moving their stock to make room for an even larger type quail. They don't transport quail or post eggs so you'd have to send them a Personal Conversation through our forum or email them through their website Homestead Quail to organise a visit to their property see this thread for more details. They have a very professional setup and sell a purpose bred larger bird - adults $10-15 and unsexed chicks $5 you're guaranteed a good quality product from them .

I have the standard sized quail (and the few recently purchased jumbos) - like I said to Stevo since you live nearby I'm happy to give you some eggs mine have started laying again if you like; or even a few chicks (depending on how many I can hatch out) but that won't be for several weeks.

20. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    cheers Mark, not sure if I should at the moment, i'd have to build a coop thing? and i'm caught up at the moment with the aquaponics construction.

PS. how long til they're ready? Do you have too many?