stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This is about the Queensland elecricity prices, but people from other states or countries might be able to relate.

This story came out May 31, saying electricity prices would rise in July due to network costs http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-31/power-prices-to-rise-by-more-than-expected/4726210

Now this announcement was made yesterday, saying the state government will merge the two state owned suppliers to reduce costs and allow more competition: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/06/16/10/08/qlpower-shake-up-hopes-to-bring-down-bills

I think something will have to happen, but the government seem to come up with these ideas saying it will be better and then it all turns to crap and by then that minister or government are having an overseas trip sitting on a beach somewhere.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years with electricity prices and service. The latest news report say there'll be a drop in service and possible black outs. Because people with solar panels are still connected to the grid i think this will effect them aswell.

edit: typo on the heading, i can't see an option where i can fix it.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah, the software will only allow thread heading amendments by administrators/mods - but I've got no problem making amendments upon request. You'll see I've added in QLD and merger because it makes it easier for other people to find the thread if they do a specific search on this subject/story.

I heard about this merger business on the radio this morning and I must say I didn't feel reassured by the Minister that a merger of Queensland's electricity suppliers would benefit anyone. He seemed quite cagey when asked to give a guarantee that prices won't actually go up. All he would guarantee was prices would rise if we keep with the existing structure.

I think something will have to happen, but the government seem to come up with these ideas saying it will be better and then it all turns to crap and by then that minister or government are having an overseas trip sitting on a beach somewhere.

LOL That's funny... Probably true but. :D

Yes, I think you're right about everyone being affected in the future (including those with solar). We're all connected to the grid (vast majority) and we all will need grid power for decades into the future - I'm certainly not feeling confident the Govt, State or Federal, have the will to solve this until it becomes an emergency. By then, power will be so unaffordable and unreliable they'll have to do something radical (like run it as a state owned asset at a loss) just to get back control - and to keep their seats in government...

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It should never have got to this though in the first place. Australia has some of the richest coal and gas reserves in the world yet we charge our own people top dollar whilst China buys it from us and then charges its citizens 90% less then what we pay. There's something seriously broken when utilities, insurance coys, councils, etc think increasing prices 10 - 20 % yearly whilst wages remain steady is not going to slow the economy. Discretionary spending and consumer confidence are low because people are worried about their bills not the GFC. That's what I reckon anyway.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
oh yeah everyone i talk to says it's very quiet, no matter industry. No one is spending money. I must be still spending money because i don't have any :oops:

Just to change perspective and to show how mixed up i am,
In one way i think electricity is fairly cheap compared to what else we spend money on at a personal level, we have it pretty good in Australia compared to other places, we get paid lots, we have lots of property, cars, pools, we're huge consumers. We just don't like spending money on electricy, fuel, mechanics etc... but we'll go and spend $30,000 on a new car, or $1000 on the latest TV. ... speaking of spending money i better go look up some prices for some more panels and batteries :cheers:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes, we are a lucky country, no doubt. But, some ordinary families out there with 3 kids are spending $1000 plus a qtr on electricity bills and some small businesses are paying huge utility bills. These price rises have come in a rather short period of time so many households and businesses have absorbed it maintaining their lifestyle as normal but of course everyone has a limit and what worries me is the middle economy coming to a collective sudden screaming halt.

Is our consumerism days coming to an end...

Wish I had 30k for a new ute :(:)

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We have a standard $500 water bill per quater at work, no matter how much we use or don't use. Something might have to change over the next few years, but could be good also. I reckon it'd be good if there were more efficient products available. I get the impression that there's no incentive for anyone to develop better products. I was looking at new fridges the other day, and they all had those star rating stickers, and they were all average to poor. It's like there's no consideration to electricity useage.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Fridges are terribly inefficient aren't they... was thinking the same thing a few days ago myself.

I'd like to know why fridges are so bad at using power and why they haven't seemed to improve over the years?

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I was talking to someone today, ok so this is one of those "my brothers cousins friends aunty said" posts... but she said she heard that in 2016, instead of electricity companies paying you for electricity you generate, they will charge you for feeding it back to the grid. I don't have any more information than that. I assume she got that info from a public source so i don't expect it to be some big secret.

As already said, it will be interesting to see what they do in future, because i really don't think they will want to be paying or crediting general public for anything.

edit: we should all look back at this thread in 2017 and comment on how it went :cheers:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I was talking to someone today, ok so this is one of those "my brothers cousins friends aunty said" posts... but she said she heard that in 2016, instead of electricity companies paying you for electricity you generate, they will charge you for feeding it back to the grid.

Guess, I'll be investigating a battery bank in my shed then :mad: after I join the class action to sue the government...:smug:

Top Bottom