Problem with Nematodes

bradley nusbaum

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Any one tried using marigolds as a way to rid their raisedbeds of nematodes?

Gavin H

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have marigolds in my bed at the moment. How do you know that you have an issue with nematodes?

bradley nusbaum

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have marigolds in my bed at the moment. How do you know that you have an issue with nematodes?
Hi Gavin, I know I have them because all of my crops from all of my beds did horrible growing really slow if at all. When i pulled everything out, all the roots had huge lumpy knots on them. So, for the 1st part of the summer I stopped waterimg the beds, letting them dry out slightly, then I densely planted marigolds (from seed) completley covering the beds. I let them go to flower and then seed so i could collect them. In the beginning of this year, I chopped the Marigold plants up and mixed them into the top layer of soil. I then put down a fresh 3" layer of soil & compost/manure. And started to plant in that.

I'm really just wondering if anyone had any luck using marigolds as a control method for nematodes. Hoping all that effort and this new planting aren't wasted efforts.

If there are any suggestions to help contol them more other than what i have done they would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gavin H

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
If I had nematodes I would do exactly what you have done. Would be interested to know how your garden does :)

Tanvir Khan

Feb 8, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Solarisation is another known cure. It’s a fancy term for covering the garden bed with black plastic for a whole season. The sun heats up the soil and kills them off. It happened to me when I planted tomatoes in the same spot fir three years in a row.

I covered my patch for a whole year and it seems to have killed them off.

bradley nusbaum

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks, I'll have to try the solarization method this summer if it hasnt cleared up. Hopefully I won't need to though.