Pour in place rubber surfacing DIY any good?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
There's a new DIY surfacing product being sold at our local Bunnings called Pour in Place Rubber and it supposedly can be used for many different purposes such as playground covering, garden pathways, non-slip surfacing around swimming pool, or even rubber lining for the back of a ute!

I've seen the stuff the council uses to cover public playgrounds and I assume it's similar but I am thinking about using this pour on rubber to cover my existing pathways around my raised vegetable garden allotment as a way to make a nice walkable path and also suppress/stop the weeds which continually come through my current pebble path covering.

Has anyone used or had any experience with Pour in Place Rubber? It's made from recycled tyres, seems very easy to apply on most surfaces, and I reckon could have many uses around the home!

I see it sells for about $64 to cover approx 1.5 m squared which seems kind of expensive although concreting a similar area would also be costly anyway and this pour on rubber looks easier to do than a concrete job personally.

Here's the link to their website: http://pourinplace.com.au/

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Probably right and I could imagine the porous top accumulating dust etc over time so yes a good hose off every few months is the go.

I just noticed on their website they suggest getting the pros in for areas over 20m squared - I wonder if it is actually cheaper in bulk?

Still, I might just test a small area and see how it comes up...

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I wonder if by the time the pros charge their fees if it ends up more anyway? Though, if it works out at the same price including the pros fees then it'd be good to let them do it.

You could work out some prices for concrete or pavers as well to compare your options?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It's academic anyway because my wife doesn't like the concept at all.

Probably going with synthetic turf around my garden beds now... :)

Tim C

Two heads are better than one
Premium Member
GOLD
That sounds good Mark. Especially if you can get it second-hand. What about old carpet? If you could make it look nice that might be okay too????

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That sounds good Mark. Especially if you can get it second-hand. What about old carpet? If you could make it look nice that might be okay too????
Yeah Tim I've been using old carpet and rugs around the patch but they seem to rot out in about 12 months though - at least that does suppress weeds and grass for some time.

I got a small amount of old synthetic turf from my tennis club and that works nicely plus it's not showing any signs of degrading unfortunately it's only 3 or 4 mtrs long and I really need about 30 mtrs of the stuff layed to cover my worst path areas.

I don't mind working hard in the yard (actually I like it) but the thing I hate the most is weeding the paths around my garden - it annoys the hell out of me...

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah Tim I've been using old carpet and rugs around the patch but they seem to rot out in about 12 months though - at least that does suppress weeds and grass for some time.

I got a small amount of old synthetic turf from my tennis club and that works nicely plus it's not showing any signs of degrading unfortunately it's only 3 or 4 mtrs long and I really need about 30 mtrs of the stuff layed to cover my worst path areas.

I don't mind working hard in the yard (actually I like it) but the thing I hate the most is weeding the paths around my garden - it annoys the hell out of me...
Your not alone in hating weeding pats although the chooks and Guinea Fowl don't mind. Our raised garden area is blue metal it grows every weed and grass you can think of beautifully.
I have been wondering about mats and carpet.
Anyone got any ideas?

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Old carpet pulled up from houses is good & free. Heavy work though.
Once it is wet (which it will get fairly quickly) some weeds may start to germinate but I found they are easily rubbed off if got young enough.
Wool carpet will stink once wet, but all other carpet will do a reasonable job.
After a couple years you will probably want to replace it, though.
The downside to carpet is that you are always walking on a wet surface as the carpet probably wont dry out until the dry months & only then if you don't get small amounts of rain once a week.

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks for your input. I think I might put some carpet down. Imighttry patches of it wih the blue metalin between. See how it goes.
Regards Lois Langley

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I've used mulch with great success in the past. I got a free load from a company chopping trees in the area, you can often find them advertising on gumtree- saves them having to pay to dump it, or driving a long way to do so.

I put a 6"+ thick layer down all around my raised beds & never had a weed problem in the 4 years I was living there. Plus, after a few years, you will have some amazing soil that you can dig up & replace with fresh mulch :)

Top Bottom