Potato Seed Pods / Nodules?

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Jenny, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Jenny

Jenny Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    About 2 months ago, when I harvested some potato plants from a container, I saw that 1 of my potato plants developed what looks like purple seed pods, with tiny leaves growing from it ?
    It is the first time ever that I have seen these odd looking nodules develop on the stems of my potato plants! o_O

I took some pics of it as shown below. I no longer have the nodules, as I put it in the compost pile, but for future reference, can someone tell me why these nodules developed in the first place and what is the purpose (if any) of these nodules? potatoseedpic1.jpg potatoseedpic2.jpg potatoseedpic3.jpg

2. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Well that’s different :) Kind of pretty.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jenny

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    True, it did look kinda cute and was a little bit hairy as well. :)
    I normally grow potatoes from store bought potatoes (I plant the potato peels with eyes, as opposed to planting a whole potato) with reasonable success, however I have never had any of my potato plants produce flowers (as I have seen in some online videos) and when I saw these nodules I was totally perplexed, as I have never seen anything like it before, so not sure if it is a type of seed pod or maybe the start of a flower?

4. Cathy

Cathy Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Potatoes grow from the stem and as your stems grow you can pile up the soil to encourage more potatoes. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that if you piled up dirt those noodles would turn into potatoes.

5. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    As Cathy has indicated, it looks like they are tiny new potatoes.
    I think the leaves growing out of each little potato are the eyes going ballistic with growth.
    Next time you see these, keep them as I would say they are super growers. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    They're very cute, and do look like teeny weeny spuds! Be interesting to see if anything eventuates in the compost heap (assuming it's not so hot it kills them!)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jenny

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    What say makes sense, weird thing though, the potato I planted, was a standard brown skinned potato, but the nodules that developed on the stems were purple, that is what made me think that the nodules must be something other than potential potatoes.