Recommend Potato onions sown in March SA.

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Tassie Daz, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Tassie Daz

Tassie Daz Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Got my potato onions in. Its a tad bit late but March is the month(SA) for them to go in so just made it. I planted 30 so these should produce a crop of about 12doz onions. Dug the ground after a light water, placed them just on top (you dont bury them cause theyll rot) another very light water in a couple of days and then water twice a week will do.
    The mesh is so the birds dont scratch around in the freshly dug soil and kick them out of the ground.

Attached Files:

2. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hey Tassie Daz,
    I don’t think I’ve grown potato onions and didn’t realise you just left them on the surface like that...do you keep 30 or so onions from last season to replant or buy new ones? I do have some little clumping onions in - I lost the label so I can’t remember what variety they are but they’re only around the size of pickling onions (which is what I do with them) and may have been “pearl” onions? (I have no idea how to work out what they are now!!?)
    So as the potato onions grown, what do they “do”...do they send out new bulbs underground? (Pardon my ignorance!!)

3. Tassie Daz

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi ODL, Mate I got given the onions by my wife's step sister a few years ago. I put the first dozen in, we got a pile from them and then last year I put 17 small onions in. From.them we got 6 dozen onions that a tied up and they have been hanging in my shade house ever since. This year, March, I planted 30 onions, small ones, that Ive called my seed onions, and they should produce in the region of 12 dozen onions. Unlike the shop bought type, these onions are beautifully sweet and moist.
    As far as purchasing them, I'll ask my contact, and post it for you if ya like. DAZ.

4. Tassie Daz

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    BTW, the onions sprout out of the centre of the onion and produce multiple shoots. Each of them is a new onion. Last year I had as many as 7 shoots from one onion........resulting in 7 new onions. The really big ones in the photo were where the onion produced only one shoot and it produced the monster onion.

5. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks Daz...I’ve seen potato onions advertised on some of the online nurseries and kept meaning to have a go. Looking at those results I’m more tempted! Brisbane is prob more humid than SA - so I might run into a problem with mould - but worth a go.