Question Potager garden ideas

Discussion in 'Other' started by Universalpuzzle, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Universalpuzzle

Universalpuzzle Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    For those who don’t know what a Potager Garden is....
    “A potager is a French term for an ornamental vegetable or kitchen garden. The historical design precedent is from the Gardens of the French Renaissance and Baroque Garden à la française eras. Often flowers (edible and non-edible) and herbs are planted with the vegetables to enhance the garden's beauty.”
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki

OK now you know what it is... my question is.. I have a lovely very large walled garden 18m x 15m and I would like to design a Potager garden.. but it has also to be practical.. I’m in a powered wheelchair.. so it will be raised beds.. but also beautiful as you only design this once!.. so what shape would you do? I’m thinking of doing a spoked wheel... but I’m concerned about accessing the middle. .. this image is just an idea... upload_2020-2-10_14-49-23.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Universalpuzzle (I'm going to call you UP from own on!;)

I was once involved in building a similar setup in a community garden that had to be wheel chair accessible.
    The government was funding it so we could go a bit wild!
    But that might also give you some idea as to how expensive it could be.
    I'm assuming you'll be wanting raised beds up at your hip height so you aren't leaning too far out of your chair.
    The beds need to be narrower than usual raised beds because it can be hard to reach across once plants get a bit of height to them.
    To create the shapes pictured would require a tradesman building specific raised bed shapes.
    My mother had some built to her hip height and they had to be built from treated hardwood sleepers to hold back the weight of growing medium and also to withstand her weight leaning against them. They ended up costing several hundred each.
    How many were you thinking of getting to begin with?
    A square or rectangular shape would be most economical with no waste of timber.
    Sleepers are 2.2m long each so they can all be cut in half to make one metre square boxes.
    Or if you cut some of them in half you would get a rectangular shape 1m x 2.2m.
    You would then set them up on a grid with laneways between, wide enough for you to drive your chair.
    Do you know what sort of mulch or gravel your chair will drive over?
    This will make a big difference to cost and maintenance.

An alternative would be to do something like my container garden which are just those bright coloured 40lt plastic bins with handles from Bunnings which I sat on old garden chairs. They cost about $4 each and last 3-4 yrs in the hot tropical sun before I need to drop the old one inside a new one of same shape.
    For you, the tops of the bins would be a bit too high but by cutting off the chair legs a bit, it would lower the container tops to your height.
    Or the bins could be simply set on double height rows of concrete house blocks laid on the ground.
    That would be a lot cheaper, lighter, easier.
    Six chairs could be put in a circle with backs touching, seats facing outwards so you could drive around the outside and easily service every bin.
    You could start with one circle then when that one was working well you could add a second growing winter veg.
    I grow everything in mine. I even had a pawpaw tree in one 60lt black bin sitting on concrete house blocks. I even grow carrots, tomato plants and ginger in bins too.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Universalpuzzle

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I’m very lucky I married a builder and I have NDIA money and support workers.. we are retiring very early.. and we have lots of space to go mad! and this is our permanent home , so I can have fun!

I like the idea of a circle of chairs in the centre.. perhaps with a tree in the middle..I was going to use concrete blocks or sleepers.. depending on the cost..but I’m hoping wood will be cheaper in tasmania. I think I prefer rectangle wedge beds in a circle.. but would you do a grid or a circle? .. I’m thinking of moving my chair around..

I’m thinking of doing 9 beds with four beds with cut flowers and 5 beds with veggies. And expanding with extra beds further out if I need them, if makes sense. perhaps stage 2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ClashAll

ClashAll Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Wow this is a fantastic idea! :idea:

5. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I'm sure between you and your hubby builder you'll fill in your backyard easily enough with exactly the shapes you envisage.

How lucky you are to get NDIS or NDIA funding. When I needed it earlier last year there wasn't any help available in Queensland for me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  6. Universalpuzzle

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Sorry SSC..com ...this is a one off reply to the above comment:

If its permanent then you can claim ndia.. you need a formal diagnosis and a FCM a functional capacity assessment.. done at hospital or privately by an Occupational Therapist.. it is a scientific measure of your physical limitations. If you get in.. the. You get into the nitty gritty of what help you need.. checkout Facebook page: NDIS Grassroots. .. other users with lots of practical help.

As for sending you home without help.. did you see the social worker at the hospital?? They should have assisted.. with a mim of help from the salvos.. who visit you etc. .. I hope things improve!

7. Jake Monteleone

Jake Monteleone Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    nice neet garden bed good job hope it gos well for you

8. Karla

Karla Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I did one similar but instead I put two rectangles parallel to each other on north side, west side, south and East. That leaves room in the middle. Then squared with the point towards the center in between. There is enough space that my riding lawn mower can get in between everything. In the squares is where I planted my berry bushes. Artist I am not but here is a diagram. 8D2241C6-6497-40F6-A410-DD92FA29B986.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Karla

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I did one similar but instead I put two rectangles parallel to each other on north side, west side, south and East. That leaves room in the middle. Then squared with the point towards the center in between. There is enough space that my riding lawn mower can get in between everything. In the squares is where I planted my berry bushes. Artist I am not but here is a diagram. I then arched cattle panels between the rectangles for a trellis.

10. Karla

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I did one similar but instead I put two rectangles parallel to each other on north side, west side, south and East. That leaves room in the middle. Then squared with the point towards the center in between. There is enough space that my riding lawn mower can get in between everything. In the squares is where I planted my berry bushes. Artist I am not but here is a diagram.

11. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That looks like an interesting design. How is it working out, Karla
    Too many edges to brush cut for my liking ;)
    But unfortunately it's one of the things about gardens. :D

12. Karla

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    This year we are putting down weed mat or rubber mats to cut that back some. It has worked really well for us. Going to raise the sides some so I don’t have to bend so much.

13. Cheryl Smyth

Cheryl Smyth Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    ClissAT
    Thanks for sharing!
    Cheryl

14. Universalpuzzle

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    F7EBB72B-BBF7-4B79-AA5F-BBCF75D1A932.jpeg I’m heartbroken..I finally retired and I arrived at my home in north tasmania that I had rented out and found it trashed. The wall garden had fruit trees in it.. out of 30 trees only three survived ..in think. basically all have been ringed and died! .. the raised beds are also trashed.. basically I am going to have to rip everything out and start again.. I actually cried!.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  15. Karla

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I am so sorry you found your trees and garden in such a horrible state. It is hard to find anyone who cares for what you love as much as yourself so they do not tend them. I use to live in a very old home which I adored. Outside the bedroom window was a rose bush and cardinals nested in it every spring. The bush was almost 2 hundred years old. I rented it to my sister and with saying anything she cut it done. Makes ones heart heavy.

16. Universalpuzzle

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I would be gutted to.

• Agree Agree x 1