Plant ID

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Bea, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Plant ID.jpg under the soil.jpg plant hub.jpg I would like to know what this plant is. 3 pictures
    Plant ID.jpg under the soil.jpg plant hub.jpg

2. letsgo

letsgo Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Looks a bit like Bamboo. Did you buy it dig it up? Is there more of it around.

3. Bea

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    not similar to my bamboo. I bought this from a local nursery. A translation at the time said ginger, and I thought it might be ornamental, but it is enormous and in over a year has not bloomed. Am wondering a bout galangal. it is growing in a large planter.

4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    It is an ornamental ginger of some sort.

Most are edible although many don't taste that good & are quite fibrous.
    The flowers are often edible too.
    Once it flowers take some more photos of the flowers & we will be able to tell you exactly what type it is.
    Its not galangal (well, not types that I know of anyway) as that has quite wide leaves & much closer together on the stem.

If you plug that photo into google you should get an answer as you have taken a reasonable photos of the whole plant.

5. Bea

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I have not been able to get it to flower, which i agree would help enormously. It may look a bit spindly and that could be the growing culture. The leaves are huge and from the ground, including the pot, I cannot reach the tallest leaves and I am 5'8". the only ornamental gingers i have seen here are not as tall.
    How do I "plug into google".

6. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    on the google home page or your chrome browser there will be some apps.
    Or under the search bar in the middle of the page there will be some words such as 'images'.
    One allows you to attach a photo for ID.
    It will have a search bar where you can browse the photos in your computer (or phone too I guess), select the right photo & it is loaded into google.
    Google then compares it with 100's or 1000's it already has in its files & offers a variety of suggestions with photos & links.
    I find it works about 50% of the time depending on how good your photos are at showing all the relevant details of the plant with no or minimal confusing background.
    Its the background in the photo that confuses the google photo ID software.

7. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    IMG_0057.JPG IMG_0058.JPG
    On the left is galangal...on the right is traditional cooking ginger. At my place, neither grows as tall as yours!! The galangal has leaves year-round here (I'm in sub-tropics) while the ginger dies down. There are different types of galangal, but this one's the one Thai's traditionally use. The galangal doesn't smell too much like ginger imho. I'd agree your plant looks like something in that family...(Zingiberaceae whatever whatever!) Of the 2, the galangal (which is only 12 months old) looks to be a much bigger plant. Mine's been labelled "Red galangal" because it does have bright red colouringas the new shoots come through. Much like yours. Weirdly, greater galangal (which this is) is commonly also called "blue galangal"...go figure!!

8. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's very good description Oscar.

I was looking at the plant's general size & the purple colouration of the stems & wide the spacing of the leaves along each stem.
    I think the leaves have purple backs as well.
    It doesn't look like any galangal or edible ginger I have seen.
    Whereas it looks a lot like several types of ornamental ginger.

9. OskarDoLittle

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yup, I prob wouldn't try eating it! One other thing I notice - when I dig up galangal, it generally comes out pretty clean - there's not much woody material covering the rhizome. And proportionately the rhizomes are quite large compared to your pics.

10. Bea

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    OK I think the word is out that my plant is some sort of ornamental ginger but the leaves look much like both of Oscar's pictures. It has yet to bloom if ever and not as pretty as it was. The stems BTW die back one at a time and I get to chop them off and use as stakes of some sort because they dry quite hard. I am going to dump out of the pot and stick in the ground somewhere. I think I'll need help.

I wish it would bloom!!!!!

11. OskarDoLittle

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah, this morning I had a look at some ornamental gingers...they look VERY alike! I think until it flowers you'll never really know sadly...