Pickle Pipes

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Letsgokate, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical

I know @Mark has these as I just read his review. How have you found them Mark? I just bought some from Ozfarmer.

Anyone else tried them.

I’ve never done any fermenting before, I went to a workshop yesterday so are keen to try some.

2. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I also bought some weights from Ozfarmer to keep the produce down under the liquid, some wide mouth jars. And just bought the Masontops Pickle Packer online. So once it all arrives I'll be set to go.

Still keen to hear any feedback on the Pickle Pipes, and any tips on using them.

3. Wheeles626

Wheeles626 Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Love this concept but they were way too expensive for me.

4. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I guess it depends on what you are comparing it too. What items you have in your house that could be used etc. I got mine from Ozfarmer $25 for 4 so if I hate the fermented foods the loss will just be $25 as I use and have the mason jars on other preserving things. So for me it was a cheaper way to start off and do small batches. A fermenting crock is more expensive but of course does bigger batches.

5. Wheeles626

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi let's go - $25 I stand corrected. I researched these a few months ago and the cheapest I found them for was AUD$90. Thanks for the Oz Famers lead I will check it out.

6. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That was just for the top bits, So if you have wide mouth jars already then that's all you will need. If you are looking at the whole kit the cheapest I could find were, if you sign up as a memeber which is free you get %15 off your first order and free delivery, https://www.nourishedlife.com.au/fo...tops-complete-mason-jar-fermentation-kit.html that would bring the set down to $76.50. It just depends on what bits you have. I also bought some weights to hold food down from Ozfarmer as well.

Ozfarmer's site doesn't seem to be working at the moment so I can't give you the link.

7. Wheeles626

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That explains the $25 then because I was looking for the whole kit.
    Thanks again for the tip though.

8. eggcentric

eggcentric Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I have the regular mouth pickle pipes. I've done one batch of sauerkraut with them so far and they worked fine.

9. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    They generally work quite well. I've had a few jars spoil but it's not certain that it was due to the airlock design - I would say they are a good product.

I do love my fermenting crock though... it's the best for pickled cucs and sauerkraut :)