Perfect Fruit by SPC

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Mark, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I watched Landline today (as you do on a Sunday) and saw a segment about Perfect Fruit made by SPC.

Firstly, what is the product Perfect Fruit? It's actually a soft serve dessert similar to any soft serve ice cream out of a regular soft serve ice cream machine except that this soft serve is 100% fruit and 100% natural (apparently anyway).

SPC claim a standard sized serving of their Perfect Fruit soft serve has only 75 calories, which is equivalent to a medium sized apple! In fact, most of the base ingredients are apples and pears so it's a good comparison I guess.

This could be a win win story if SPC can exploit their new soft serve product because it wasn't too long ago when SPC (a traditional canned fruit/veg Australian company) very nearly ceased to exist and almost went into receivership. This would have certainly meant the demise of many apple and pear growers also but it seems the company and the growers have had a reprieve with their new (out of the box) soft serve product.

Literally out of the box... SPC developed the soft serve machines based on current technology for ice cream and sell the boxed liquid fruit pulp formula in several different flavours such as: Mango A-Go-Go, Super Strawberry, and Berry Remix, with more types currently in development.

I believe there are several soft serve machines operating commercially at the moment and the Landline story gave an example where some were being used in a hospital canteen with enormous success! People love the taste, so they say, (I can't comment but I'm keen to try it) and due to the low calories and the fact this soft serve fruity dessert is dairy free makes it very appealing to the health conscious and sweet freaks alike.

It's the holy grail isn't it...? A rich, flavoursome, fulfilling dessert but without the guilt!

I did have a peek and look up some of the other ingredients written on the item packet such as the vegetable gums, added proteins, and natural colours - it seems these ingredients do indeed check out as natural so it may well be close to that perfect dessert. Like I said, I haven't tasted it so I can't give an honest taste opinion but it does look very promising.

So much so, that SPC can't keep up with demand for machines and product plus they now have enquiries from overseas to deal with which is all a good thing considering the situation the company was in a few years back.

Anyway, if you get to taste Perfect Fruit soft serve before me please let me know what you think? :)

This is a link to SPC website Perfect Fruit
    Here's a link to SPC's Facebook page

What's that Skip? It tastes better than grass? I'm sure it does! ;)
    Perfect fruit with skippy.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tim C

Tim C Two heads are better than one Premium Member GOLD

Just a bit of imagination and innovation is all it takes. We've all had the fruit smoothies at the show. Now some advertising guru has hit a nerve. Good on them! But there have been many who have tried to further their smoothies, with no success. Despite canvassing all the General managers and product execs in the big companies. Now they promote it as a revolution in food. Baah!~Another capitalist angle of an old, old, old idea. Good luck to them, but hey stiff cheese for all who did it long ago also. Capitalism. Greed and promotion of the non-deserving, A bit of olive oil frothed in some fruit is no epiphamy. It relates directly to the mysterious hoodoo about brewing grog- Oh, you can't make it as good as we do because we have the secret ingredients! Gob off, Gob off, Gob off!
    The more I drink my lemon squash, the more I realise it's better than anything on the market. A bit bland at first, but then again all on the market are not drinkable after the first few, whereas mine is... Once you have the slimy tongue, and the acid reflux (like most ciders) it's all over. A bit watery, yes, but for prolonged drinking, mine outdoes all in the market.
    As lactose is weight-gaining, and some are intolerant, my next brew will be sweetened with Splenda- a sugar-derived, non-fermentable, at a reasonable price. Stevia is too dear and saccharides are akin to DDT in their health outcome.
    Now, an alcoholic fruit smoothie (....hic..) That's a brain-freeze! Fruit,froth, sugar and alcohol in one (...hic...)...BUUURRRPP!-Excuse me !
    Tamarillo alcoholic smoothies Mark! MMMMMMM! Lay on the Li-Lo in the pool and watch the day go by.... The kids can get themselves off to school....

3. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I think you're pushing a different market Tim with your alcoholic tamarillo smoothies :)

It's probably true that fruit soft serve ice cream (without the dairy) has been done but it's all about timing and there's definitely a need for a fast food that's a healthier option at the moment.

At least these companies are starting to change and not just continue pushing preservative filled fatty products onto a largely unaware barefooted slapping barrel shaped public, commonly seen frequenting the shopping center food court.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    If it keeps aussie farmers in jobs then it sounds good, their website says made with 100% aussie fruit. I'd try it if I saw it available somewhere.

I don't think it would have any effect on fat people in aus though, they'd eat this but would have two big macs with it :eat::rude:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    True - cheeky... :D

6. Tim C

Tim C Two heads are better than one Premium Member GOLD

Amen brother! . Wash down them Big Macs with something healthy. Won't do much for us fuglies either.....