Veg Showcase Perennial Leeks

Basic Growing Tips
Grows in most soil conditions, Can be grown all year (under certain conditions)
Buy Online Here

Kasalia

http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/
Premium Member
Dec 15, 2015
Mid North Coast
retired2006.blogspot.com.au
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Kasalia submitted a new Showcase Item:

Perennial Leeks

For sub tropical this is the easiest onion to grow. Leeks are not as strong tasting as onion and they don't get to the whopping size like in England, but I must say they have been a great success. Baby leeks grow from the base so when you pick, you plant again. Very prolific. PM me if interest in a few starters

Newly separated, done in spring.
Read more about this showcase item here...

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I don't grow enough leeks and you've just inspired me to get some more in the ground @Kasalia

My Italian Uncle (I lived with him in Darwin for a few years in the 90's) he had a simple way to eat leeks: braise them whole until soft and then crack a soft boiled egg over them prior to serving - salt and pepper, a generous pour of olive oil and that was dinner! :)

Bea

Premium Member
Nov 23, 2017
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Just to be clear: kasalia do you mean cutting off the rooting end and sticking it back in the soil. Do you use a different plot each time. How far do you bury the root end. i have done this with some onions and celery. Hit and miss. Celery usually rots. Always a delight when something works!

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Just to be clear: kasalia do you mean cutting off the rooting end and sticking it back in the soil. Do you use a different plot each time. How far do you bury the root end. i have done this with some onions and celery. Hit and miss. Celery usually rots. Always a delight when something works!

I use that method to grow shallots or what others call spring onions or eshallots.
Goodness knows what the correct name is for them!
In anycase, I either leave them growing in the bed & cut the stem just above ground level leaving the root to reshoot.
Or if I am starting a new patch of them I pull the whole plant, cut the bottom 5cm/2inches off including the root & replant in the new location.
One year it was very wet here & finally they all rooted in the ground. I was mortified that I had to buy a new bunch of shallots for a stupendous $2.50 from the supermarket to start the whole process again! :D

Bea

Premium Member
Nov 23, 2017
Climate
Sub-Tropical
LOL I felt the same way when I moved here and had to start buying garlic!!! Cant remember the last time I actually bought garlic in Vancouver. You may understand my unbridled joy, photos and all, when I harvested a perfect, decent sized bulb - just one. I dont know if I should eat it, frame it or re-plant the cloves. LOL

Reactions: Shannon Robinson