Perennial Leeks

Basic Growing Tips:
  • Grows in most soil conditions
  • Can be grown all year (under certain conditions)
Buy Online Here:
https://www.greenharvest.com.au/Plants/LemongrassToPigeonPea.html
  1. Kasalia

Kasalia http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/ Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Kasalia submitted a new Showcase Item:

Perennial Leeks

Read more about this showcase item here...

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I don't grow enough leeks and you've just inspired me to get some more in the ground @Kasalia

My Italian Uncle (I lived with him in Darwin for a few years in the 90's) he had a simple way to eat leeks: braise them whole until soft and then crack a soft boiled egg over them prior to serving - salt and pepper, a generous pour of olive oil and that was dinner! :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Just to be clear: kasalia do you mean cutting off the rooting end and sticking it back in the soil. Do you use a different plot each time. How far do you bury the root end. i have done this with some onions and celery. Hit and miss. Celery usually rots. Always a delight when something works!

4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical

I use that method to grow shallots or what others call spring onions or eshallots.
    Goodness knows what the correct name is for them!
    In anycase, I either leave them growing in the bed & cut the stem just above ground level leaving the root to reshoot.
    Or if I am starting a new patch of them I pull the whole plant, cut the bottom 5cm/2inches off including the root & replant in the new location.
    One year it was very wet here & finally they all rooted in the ground. I was mortified that I had to buy a new bunch of shallots for a stupendous $2.50 from the supermarket to start the whole process again! :D

5. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    LOL I felt the same way when I moved here and had to start buying garlic!!! Cant remember the last time I actually bought garlic in Vancouver. You may understand my unbridled joy, photos and all, when I harvested a perfect, decent sized bulb - just one. I dont know if I should eat it, frame it or re-plant the cloves. LOL

• Funny Funny x 1