Perenial capsicum

Raymondo

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi to all ,many moons ago , maybe 40 years , I picked up a capsicum from an Italian fruit and veggie store south of Sydney , I consequently propagated it and found a most remarkable plant , probably not exactly perennial but good for 2-3 years at least in the sub tropics . having no exact name and also having lost contact with this plant ,I now seek to find it again . It was up to 200mm in length and perhaps60mm in width at the stalk end . It has been suggested to me that this could be El Torro or Bulls horn, if anyone has some light to throw on this subject I would be most grateful ,if any one has seed I would be most indebted , hoping someone can shed some light cheers Raymondo

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Raymondo, I've no idea of which variety capsicum you may have had but it is my understanding that all tomato and capsicum are actually perennials - we just treat them as annuals. They do, of course, need a suitable place to overwinter, somewhere protected from frosts etc but I have heard and seen from many people who have done this. Eggplant is apparently the same? I don't recall if the plants were trimmed at the end of the production season or not though.

Raymondo

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Vicky , thanks for your reply, it surprises me I have not had more comments, I continually strive to find plants which are either perennial or have the ability to self seed easily , the "weeds" in my garden are now Rocket , lettuce, tatsoi ,lemon basil , a larger version of the cherry tomato , luffa , coriander , cucumber , Italian parsley , kale , and a leaf sold to me as wasabi parsley which tastes just like wasabi with the same bang and just when you think maybe a glass of water and its gone certainly a wakeup for the taste buds and this one is prolific , a real winner for me . I"d be happy to hear about other peoples success with self seeding varieties especially the more unusual types , thanks again for your input cheers Ray

Frank

Premium Member
GOLD
Website
archive.org
Climate
Tropical
Do you have a picture of that wasabi parseley? I got something also, that stings in the nose(like wasabi), if you eat it raw... but, it doesn't look like parsley. My wife says ours is called Sawi Pahit.

Raymondo

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Absolutely Frank , it doesn't look like parsley, I"ve always questioned that , I will organise a pic later today ,cheers and thanks for the input

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Vicky , thanks for your reply, it surprises me I have not had more comments, I continually strive to find plants which are either perennial or have the ability to self seed easily , the "weeds" in my garden are now Rocket , lettuce, tatsoi ,lemon basil , a larger version of the cherry tomato , luffa , coriander , cucumber , Italian parsley , kale , and a leaf sold to me as wasabi parsley which tastes just like wasabi with the same bang and just when you think maybe a glass of water and its gone certainly a wakeup for the taste buds and this one is prolific , a real winner for me . I"d be happy to hear about other peoples success with self seeding varieties especially the more unusual types , thanks again for your input cheers Ray

Things can get a bit quiet here Ray, it seems to go in fits and starts - I have been absent for a few months (I'm only new here, joined the beginning of the year or late last year) with work and I guess we all just get busy or distracted with other things. I too love the self sowing or ready volunteers in the garden, oft times I forget to plant something at the correct time but I don't have to worry now because it usually just appears on it's own :cool: This year though, I am having some challenges with all the other little creatures in the area that want to eat my garden, including these little white snails that I've not seen before. That, and the fact that it's soooooo dry here that I'm having to plant in home made wicking pots just to get anything to stay alive!!
The wasabi parsley sounds good, I look forward to your pictures :)

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Raymondo, like Vicky said, we just treat them as annual. They can fruit all year round in the right climate. I had Chilli in Perth that only stopped flowering for maybe a month a year.

This year I'm planting my capsicum in 'aquapro square planting baskets'- search that on Bunnings website to see them. They are a square baskets with holes in them. I started them in the greenhouse, then planted the basket in the raised beds. Once they are done fruiting for the year, I'll prune the top right back, pull the basket out, trim the roots back to the edge of the planter, then overwinter them in the greenhouse so the frost doesn't kill them.

That way, they will have a huge head start for the next season.

Top Bottom