People want fresh veges... Who knew.

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I posted a week or so back about my harvest of Pumpkins, or technically... Squash.
I grew a heap of butternuts and a new variety (for me) Golden nugget. Also a massive amount of west Indian gherkin. Well, I still have more Butternuts coming and could not see myself using them all, so decide I would put it out there and see if anyone wanted them. I put 1 post on one facebook site advertising them for $1 each...
I sold the lot in under 2 hours! $50 back into the seed budget :)
20200412_131422_resized.jpg
20200412_120859_resized.jpg 20200410_160545_resized.jpg

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
A.W.E.S.O.M.E!! $1 each is a bargain for people and you get to buy more seeds, Win - Win :) Well done, best thing is, you can save your own seeds from whatever you are already growing and then start looking at other things :)

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
[QUOTE=" Well done, best thing is, you can save your own seeds from whatever you are already growing and then start looking at other things :)[/QUOTE]
I have been collecting seeds from a whole bunch of different things, some I won't be doing again, some I will, but I will need to investigate how long seeds are viable. I am lucky in that our local library has a seed library in it and I have given them a heap of seeds over the last few years, so far I have only got a couple off them as I already have most of what they have.

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Oh yay for the seed bank, very necessary at this time, I hope more are created as we go through this whole pandemic thing. What things are you not going to try again? Is it because they don't grow well the or you didn't like it as food?

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
What things are you not going to try again? Is it because they don't grow well the or you didn't like it as food?
Mainly the seed saving i am not trying again. I may if I have the room depending on where I plant them, but some crops like cauliflower and broccoli you have to wait so long before you can collect the seed and they grow so big. I may look into setting an area aside that is out of the way and use it as primarily a seed growing area, I figure it wouldn't matter as much if they don't get the full amount of sun they need as they will just bolt early and go straight to seed which is what I want.
Other things like the long white cucumber and Armenian weren't a favourite as far as eating goes, and so far I am still waiting to see if my rosella is going to "fruit" It is showing signs that it is, but I am afraid the cold has set in and I have missed the boat.

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
oh yes, the wait, carrots is another one, and beetroot, I've done what you are thinking about, putting some things in pots even and putting them somewhere that I will give them attention but not have them in the way or in a garden bed that I want something else to grow in. just two carrots went to seed and this year I have harvested so many seeds and shared as many more :) What I have found, is that if you have a garden area where you can let things go to seed, you can collect the seed after the beneficial insects have enjoyed the flowers and then every year, things just pop up on their own, this year, I had so much just come up in one bed that I've decided that is my 'seed' bed, I can then transfer young seedlings out of there if I wish or just leave it as one big chicken/bee/insect feeding mess :) I've also planted a mushroom patch in an one part that is full of silverbeet and spinach and buckwheat so hopefully it will be shaded during summer when the mushrooms may appear.

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
who doesnt want fresh vegies :)

Cheryl Smyth

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I would like to add Monsanto company is buying up the seed companies they’ve been doing it for a few years now. save your seeds!
Your return for hard work looks great

Top Bottom