stevo

Backyard Farmer
Premium Member
Jun 13, 2013
Clontarf, Qld
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Does anyone have recommendations for ripening tricks?

I just had a google and one page suggested when they fall off the vine you place them on a sunny window sill to ripen until the skin is all wrinkly.

I'm still getting heaps of Passionfruit from my "tree". I have been just letting them sit on a bench in the shade, and I've been eating them before they go wrinkly, they're still good, but some haven't fully matured inside and sometimes you get a big squishy kind of center that hasn't turned to juice yet.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Mar 26, 2015
Preston, QLD
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Mine has had a number drop off wrinkly yet still green. Those are unripe and have to be thrown out. A horticulturist thought it might be woodiness- a type of disease of the passion fruit vine but mine has continued to produce good fruit otherwise so I haven't cut it down yet despite his advice to do so.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
They don't have to be wrinkled to eat they just need to be ripe. You can often tell if passionfruit is ready to eat by colour and smell (they smell sweeter).

Yes, often wrinkled passionfruit can show they are ripe but it isn't an absolute indicator and most of ours (black and yellow) are eaten when the fruit is still hard and smooth.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Mar 26, 2015
Preston, QLD
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
This is the type of vine I'm contending with, quite prolific and productive.

It's on a western facing wall of our little backyard shed and doing well with little love or watering.

Reactions: DTK and Mark

Ken W.

Premium Member
Mar 17, 2015
Inglewood, QLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Allowing them to wrinkle is a process of dehydration which concentrates the sugars and flavour.

Reactions: Mark

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Mar 26, 2015
Preston, QLD
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
That's for ripened fruits. There are also those that wrinkle/shrivel prior to them ripening (when green) and will usually drop prematurely.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That vine is sure growing well Ash and I'm surprised you're having trouble with it fruiting... I have a few passionfruit vines growing mongrel around here without any "love" and they are still producing plenty of fruit.

Can you remember what variety is was? Sometimes those gourmet grafted passionfruit vines are poor fruiters (I've tried a few of them) also the graft can become overgrown by the rootstock, which grows vigorously, but is a poor fruit producer. Maybe check the stem to see if you have growth coming from under the graft (if it was grafted) and if it does then cut it back or completely out and grow a good seed variety that doesn't need grafting. Just a thought...

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Mar 26, 2015
Preston, QLD
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
That I can't be sure about (grafted vs seedling), probably seedling, but it was a Panama Red variety.
In any case, this vine will be inherited by the tenants we will rent it out to when we move to our more self-sufficient supportive property in about 4 months

Lois

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2017
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Does anyone know how to tickle passionfruit flowers?
My friend usually does it but is away. I don't know.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Surely if there are insects are night time & bees during the day, then there will be enough to pollinate the passionfruit?

But if I had to do it I would try a soft (house) paint brush or barbers brush.

Lois

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2017
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The flower was gone this morning. Anyway I will give the paint brush a go.
Thanks ClissAT
Regards Lois Langley

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The flower was gone this morning. Anyway I will give the paint brush a go.
Thanks ClissAT
Regards Lois Langley
When you say the flower was gone, Lois, exactly how 'gone' do you mean?
Did the actual whole flower disappear or do you mean it had closed up?

If it is disappeared, then you have possums as they love p'fruit flowers.
If it had just closed up then yes wait for the next one.
They should stay open more than one day though.
Drought or simply lack of water will cause them to close early to preserve moisture. Those flowers usually never set fruit in anycase.

Lois

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2017
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It was gone. Yep we have possums. I will have to talk to my friend about something to keep them away. Maybe an onion bag full of cat and smelly dog hair from when I brush them down when they're shedding.

Thanks ClissAT

Regards Lois Langley

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Pretty much the only thing I have found to work against possums is a strong barrier ie wire netting wrapped around whatever you hope to save.