Passionfruit ripening

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by the Decoy, Jun 16, 2018.

1. the Decoy

the Decoy Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    hi again. I’m in Brisbane, and I have several passionfruit vines around my house, different varieties. They are all quite loaded with fruit (all still green). Every week one or two fall - while still green. It’s now getting quite cold in our area, leaving me with loads of green fruit yet to ripen... will these fruit still fully ripen through the winter months? Do passionfruit still continue to ripen without the warmer weather? These plants are only a year old - this is their first fruiting season. Also, I plant to cut them back by a third once the fruiting is complete - what is the best time of year to do this?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

2. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    All good questions. I’d like to know too, I’m in much the same boat :)

3. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    If the fruit is fully sized but not ripe the vines need more water.
    At this time of year we are seduced by the weather & lulled into a false sense of security over the fact we have mulched enough to keep the soil moist.
    However the humidity drops rapidly so with the plants still in full leaf & fruit, they are expiring at a rapid rate.
    There simply isn't enough moisture in the soil to provide sufficient to plants that have long stems & lots of leaf.
    Water laced with a dose of Potassium will help hold the fruit so it can ripen.
    Unfortunately, passionfruit don't ripen off the vine if green when picked (or fallen).
    They must be colouring before picking.

Cutting back by only 1/3 is probably not enough.
    Most PF should be cut back to the main trunk every year as soon as fruiting is finished & given a good fertilizing in the early spring.
    The first fertilizer should be high in nitrogen then just before Xmas it should be changed over to a high potassium type to enhance fruiting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks Clissat for some great info. :thumbsup:

In my case my passionfruit are on a drip irrigation so they are getting enough water. The fruit is ripening just slower than in summer. Maybe due to it being cooler.

Mine are actually going to be moved as they are in pots. We need to move the fence they are climbing on to make way for the orchard enclosure. They have to be cut right back to the main trunk so it’s great to know they will handle being cut that far back :)