Question Palm Tree

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Perry, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Perry

Perry Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day,
    I do not think I am in the correct section. I'm sorry, maybe some body can put me right.
    Outside our City Hall are two Palm Trees. I thought that they were FOXTAILs . Under one of the trees are the trees seeds. They different to Foxtail, much smaller. I collected about 20 and would love to know how to germinate the seeds. Please could somebody tell me or direct me to a site I can find out how to do it.
    Many thanks,
    Perry

Attached Files:

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That palm tree Perry, is about 100yrs old so I would guess it is an Alexander or a Piccabeen.
    Google tropical palms in Australia & see all the different photos that show you many types of palm trees.
    It is definitely not a foxtail. I would not be trying to grow those seeds.
    You are supposed to have a little permit number to have a foxtail. It is printed on the ticket that is attached to the potted palm at the nursery shop. Same goes for fishtail palms.
    If you can zoom into the leaves of that palm & post some of those photos I will have a much better idea, Perry.
    If its an Alexander they can be purchased as seedlings of $1. The Piccabeens can be found at native nurseries for usually $2 each.

However, to germinate palm nuts, just requires some moist sand & a bit of time. Press 10 nuts into moist sand in a 6inch pot standing in a saucer of water to keep the sand moist & wait a short while.
    Once germinated wait until the shoot is strong but still just a shoot (no leaves) & transplant to a tall tube punnet. Soon it will get its first leaf & you will see roots coming out the bottom. It is time to pot up to a 6inch tall pot. Next potting up at the 3leaf stage it should go into the ground or the roots wrap around themselves creating weak root systems.

3. Perry

Perry Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day ClissaAT,
    Thank you for your reply. I will give the wet sand a go.
    This is a close up photo, maybe it might give you a better idea. I hope you have a Photography Program that you can zone in.
    Cheers Perry

Attached Files:

4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Perry, its not an Alexander palm, I realize the petiole or leaf sheath length is far too short in the one you have pictured.

I think it might be a Queen (Cocos) palm which in most shires is now a weed species due to its prolific seeding nature.
    Also it doesn't shed cleanly.

Does the tree you have pictured require the dead leaves & inflorescences removing mechanically? In other words does the council have to come along with a cherry picker & cut off the dead leaves?

Here are some photos for comparison.
    foxtail palm.jpg queen(cocos) palm.jpg fish tail palm tree.jpg
    foxtail palm ...................... queen or cocos palm ........................ fishtail palm

note how much longer the leaf sheath (the green part at top of trunk) is on the foxtail? And how short it is on the queen palm & also how much retained dead stuff is stuck to the top of the trunk where the leaves are cut off?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018