Our half blank canvas

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Mataeka, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Mataeka

Mataeka Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    We finally have access to our 11 acre little hillside paradise and it's ours to do with as we will :twothumbsup:

It's not exactly a blank slate though because it's already got a heap of banana trees (cavendish I suspect), mango trees, a jackfruit tree, lime trees, pawpaw trees, some established pineapples, bamboo, several plants I'm still learning the names of or yet to identify (mundu I think was one?) and some flowers bringing in the native stingless bees and blue banded solitary bees.

Surprisingly it doesnt appear that despite the abundance of fruit trees, that the previous owners ever had a compost heap, nor particularly veggie patches. So that will be a priority for us.

I'm quite excited for this next stage in our lives :yahoo:

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes, must be very exciting to have your own land to grow stuff on.
    However when taking over a block that was previously owned by gardeners, I always advise people to pay close attention to what is & isn't growing!
    You mention there doesn't appear to be any vegie beds................. or compost heaps.............

Maybe they had raised beds in those corrugated beds like from bunnings and took them with them.
    Are there any bare patches of ground where a raised bed may have been?

And their compost heap may have been in tumblers.

Perhaps vegies didn't grow very well in the ground and they took all their compost with them because it is so precious?

3. Mataeka

Mataeka Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    There is tomatoes growing free-range around one of the water tanks so i suspect the soil is fine. No dead patches to hint at a compost heap. They left a lot of other garden beds filled with geraniums (I hate geraniums!) but no veggies by the looks.