Oddities for dinner

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My cluckles have been ranging far & wide recently.
They trot along behind me as I collect dead fall from around the wider house paddock (1.5ac) to burn in the big fire pit.
If I'm pruning shrubs I have to watch where I put my feet because there'll be a chook right there by my ankle!
I'm teaching them to 'look up' for a feed of green grasshopper rather than scratch in fresh garden beds.
There is so much food 'on the wing' right now in my garden.
These chooks being ex-commercial birds are not educated in the ways of home bred chooks that know all the different ways to catch a feed.

This arvo I found a funny thing in one garden bed. As I watered without glasses on, I thought I saw a funny looking mushroom that looked a bit like yellow jelly.
Once I donned glasses I realized it was a shell-less egg just sitting ever so neatly in a little nest of lucerne green mulch. It has it's firm outer skin so it never broke & I could easily pick it up.
It's obviously Pauline's. I thought I had stopped her laying because she has shell gland problems.
She is hanging in there well enough but does walk like a penguin.
I took a photo before frying it for dinner. It was a very well formed egg, no extra moisture in the white that runs a bit when broken into the pan. It held together quite high rather than go flat when broken. I took the outer skin off as I turned it into the pan.

I also got this twisted carrot pair when I pulled a few remaining carrots that were just 'bunged in' willy nilly 3mths ago. I first pulled the darker orange carrot which broke, then I drove my fingers into the soil to pull this larger one out & got the rest of the dark orange carrot too!

So it was a real meal of oddities for dinner tonight.

carrot & egg.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
These chooks being ex-commercial birds are not educated in the ways of home bred chooks that know all the different ways to catch a feed.
That's nice you giving them a free home in retirement Clissa :feedchooks:

Very unusual exhibits an egg without a shell and entangled carrots - funny things happen in nature I suppose!

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well it's strictly speaking, not retirement, Mark. They are supposed to be paying their way! ;)
Just now only 2 lay properly because Pauline has the shell gland problem now so her days are numbered. She does have egg yolk peritonitis in a mild form & walks like a penguin but does occasionally lay these shell-less eggs but I rarely find them. The other chooks will eat it straight away no doubt.

The 2 that are laying are doing it day about right now which is ok because I don't want them laying everyday or they will wear out too quickly. But I am selling some eggs now too, so it's not a really good time to go off lay either.

Top Bottom