No Crock Sauerkraut

becky3086

Premium Member
It is really simple and makes a small batch, which I like since we don't use this up really fast.

5 lbs fuly mature cabbage (about one large one, is all I usually use)
Wash quarter and finely shred

3 1/2 Tablespoons salt
Mix into cabbage in large bowl. Allow to set 30-60 minutes to wilt slightly.

Firmly pack into jars, leaving a 2 inch headspace. Fill with Cold water, leaving a 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust lids, screw bands tight. Place jars on a pan to catch brine that overflows during fermentation (usually very little). Keep cabbage covered with brine, add more if necessary (1 1/2 tsp. salt in 1 qt. water).

This is just left out. I leave mine on my table where the sun won't hit it.

Sauerkraut is cured and ready to can in 6 to 8 weeks. Clean rims of jars and replace lids if ncessary; screw bands tight. Set jars in water-bath canner filled with cold water. Process 30 minutes. Makes approx. 7 pints.

http://simplyselfsufficiency.blogspot.com/2010/09/no-crock-sauerkraut.html

David Trees

Premium Member
Thanks Becky. Nice and easy. We've bought 3 German Crocks here in England to do this with as they are so so so much cheaper here. I was shocked at what some folk end up paying for them.

I like your way too.

Do you add any other vegetable or root crops into your Kraut recipes to make it different?

The thing I like about this method with just the salt is that one doesn't need to "can it" on keep it in some kind of cooler storage area or a second fridge from the Crock manufacturer in Germany told me via email. Thanks for sharing this and I see on your site that you do other vegies too! Cool.

Top Bottom