Nice gentle drought breaking rain

Discussion in 'Chin Wag' started by ClissAT, Oct 12, 2018.

1. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I hope all those in this country who need rain are getting some out of this weather system.
    My place is soggy now and dams beginning to fill.
    For those in other parts of the world who perhaps are getting really bad weather involving too much rain, there are still many parts of this country that need it. So please send it over to us! ;)

But...... as the words from the poem "A Sunburnt Country" go:- "of drought and flooding rain".

Lets just hope this isn't the beginning of a flood season for drought affected farmers.

Here are 2 photos i just took showing the gloominess at my place at 2pm.
    Light rain softly falling doesn't show in these photos.

IMG_20181012_140501-02.jpeg IMG_20181012_140317-01-01.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    The first of my 2 new 27000lt tanks filled yesterday morning and i had to run out in the rain to screw on the fittings to join it to the second tank.
    Then opened the ball valves which allowed the water to equalize in both tanks.
    But yesterday arvo and overnight there's been a heap of rain so both tanks are almost full now.
    Then I'll have to install the overflow pipes which have to be run down the ground gutters away down the paddock.
    The reason i haven't done this work so far is the roof gutters on the shed have failed with most of the water overflowing onto the ground and flooding the whole site.

I wanted the shed company to come fix the problem but no joy yet.

The reactve clay has become completely saturated to the point of being squishy so the whole shed site is mostly unusable until it dries out.
    This shed has become a real money pit full of failures, overcharging, bad engineering and rip offs. The company is one of qld's most reputable.......apparently?

• Like Like x 1
  3. AndrewB

AndrewB Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's great news about all the rain. It can be surprising how quickly water tanks fill up, even a small roof collects a lot of water.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Pity about the shed but great about the tanks filling up!

I always hope we get good spring rain like this but it rarely happens... Usually, the start of spring is dry as hell and we're forced to water constantly as the weather heats up until the summer rains hit. When it does rain well through spring our fruit trees go nuts and we generally have a good productive summer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    There's been over 200ml here so far this month which is amazing and brings my total for the year to within the average range.
    That in itself is astonishing considering how bad the dry has been.
    But looking back over my rain charts for the last few years I see that the rain has been coming in larger volumes but less often with longer dry spells between.
    But it can stop now please... For a while! :twothumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kasalia

Kasalia http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/ Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    While all this rain was happening, we were camping, beachside at Minnie Waters. Stuck it out for a week. The waves though, everyday amazing.