Newbie from Victoria - Latrobe Valley

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JaninaG, Aug 31, 2017.

1. JaninaG

JaninaG Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi All,
    Have gone back to my childhood, though not doing as good a job as my parents ... but learning.

I have 3/4 acre town block, with beautiful view of the green hills. Will be much better when I half the height of the 6 tall gums.

Havent done much in the way of vegetable gardening... Have spent most of my time maintaining and developing a hotch potch front garden and slowly improving the soil, and Hoping to plant some vegies in amongst the flowers soon.

Then will have to do the back third... where I have some fruit trees, orange, lemon, grapefruit and apples, some different varieties of stone fruits which I dont know the names,,, Lots of Monsterias that I have seperated and planted in different places.

An 1950s chookpen [7 sections] which needs occupants, also have natives haphazadly growing around the block.

For someone who never wanted to own a house.... or land.... I am enjoying the responsibility - sorta ? :)

Love the surprise nature and bird have bought over the past year, and my monsterias have the most glorious fruit I have ever eaten.

Have added blueberries, loganberries, and other berries, am trying to grow pineapples from the leaves - will see. Have huge ferny things scattered around the yard, dont know much - I am going to blame living in the city for ober 40 years... :)

I am 70, with a 2 grandchildren,, and enjoy the peace and quiet of small town living... and slowly learning how to grow things without chemicals,,, not having a farmers bone in my body, I have kept away from the animals.... so far but I might end up learning, who knows what tomorrow will bring..
    Nice to be here, and hope to learn a lot and Hope everyone is well wherever you are :)

Blessings to all

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Wow Janina, you sound very busy! Welcome to this wonderful little forum community.
    Mark is always busy making a heap of creative & informative videos. You are bound to get good ideas to help you.
    I assume there is a house of some sort in the middle third of the block?
    Your block has a lovely outlook....but.... What is that huge chimney thing in the background of your profile photo?

3. JaninaG

JaninaG Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)

Thanks, will have to post an actualy photo of my block. This was one of the many walks we take around our area..... This was at top of first incline, and I was throwing a hissy fit as it was a 4 wheel drives terrain, and another hill .... My expession of, you gotta be kidding me.... The view behind me is the W Powerstation at Yallourn.... LOL But yes there is a house on the first 1/3 of my block, driveway and rockery and 1940s shed in middle and the third part is industrial garage, fruit and gum trees and chook pen.... Will try to remember to post some photos of before and after..... Blessings :)

4. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Welcome Janina, sounds awesome. Just big enough to do quite a lot, and not so big to be unruly. With time on your hands, you can really get so much done with a great sense of satisfaction. Thanks for joining us and hope you enjoy it here.

5. letsgo

letsgo Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome sounds like you are very busy and are on the right path, well done.

6. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Looking forward to seeing photos of it all, sounds awesome.

7. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Looking forward to seeing it!

Thanks for joining SSC! :)