New asparagus bed

Robbie

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I waited 3 years before i cut my first asparagus spears but well worth it they have been growing strong and producing heaps. Just need to leave a few to go to fern and top dress with compost and manure every year

DivingTemptress

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Nassau Bay, Texas USA
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You are going to love growing this !

We bought 2 year old crowns, half purple half green, this is our 3rd summer in the ground. I can't believe how sweet these taste !

Happy gardening,
P J, the Dirt Diva
20200728_111420_resized asparagus.jpg

Reactions: Davidwood1983

DTK

Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 23, 2019
Brisbane (SW suburbs)
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We have one asparagus plant, so far. I bought a crown about three years ago and planted it in a big pot. This winter I cut it back and moved it to a corner spot in my vegetable cage. The old shoots died off and I thought I had killed it but recently new shoots emerged. They have grown rapidly but I have not attempted to harvest any - just letting the plant establish. I am not keen on asparagus but my wife loves it so I want to grow it more and more. Happy wife, happy life. I am keen to read more on asparagus.

Pauljm

Premium Member
GOLD
May 8, 2018
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We have one asparagus plant, so far. I bought a crown about three years ago and planted it in a big pot. This winter I cut it back and moved it to a corner spot in my vegetable cage. The old shoots died off and I thought I had killed it but recently new shoots emerged. They have grown rapidly but I have not attempted to harvest any - just letting the plant establish. I am not keen on asparagus but my wife loves it so I want to grow it more and more. Happy wife, happy life. I am keen to read more on asparagus.
Hi and yes I am keen to get some asparagus going as well. I have a rock wall That’s is about 400mm wide that’s up against a fence. Wondering what the minimum depth of soil I would need to build to get asparagus going in this spot?
Cheers..Paul

Davidwood1983

Premium Member
GOLD
May 26, 2020
S.E Queensland , Australia
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi and yes I am keen to get some asparagus going as well. I have a rock wall That’s is about 400mm wide that’s up against a fence. Wondering what the minimum depth of soil I would need to build to get asparagus going in this spot?
Cheers..Paul
I don’t know the minimum but I know asparagus can easily get down 1m. I put much more compost in the bed because of this.

Reactions: DTK

Justin M

Permaculture enthusiast
Premium Member
GOLD
Apr 27, 2020
Warragul, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
What does everybody plant in with their asparagus? I have 10 asparagus seedlings and depending on what ideas I get on growing partners will determine where I set up the beds.