New Animals

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Ray Speed, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Ray Speed

Ray Speed Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Well we have wanted Goats for ages now and I have just started fencing off the paddocks, tonight we bought these 2 beautiful little 25% Nigerian Dwarf Girls :) Building their little stable soon, another month or so and they will be home

Attached Files:

2. AndrewB

AndrewB Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Build them fences high & strong! they are genius escape artists.

3. Ray Speed

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    All sorted ;)

4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I will keep a close interest on the progress of your goats, Ray.
    I too would like a pair of female goats but am reluctant due to the predator issues around here.
    They would need to be chained up here and there to graze on my weeds during the day then put away at night.
    I would like these things but at the same time need to divest myself of daily responsibilities incase i am ill etc.
    So its a bit pie in the sky with no one close handy to take over.

But yes the fencing needs to be very secure. I like this electeic mesh fences (the tallest variety i think is best) i see on youtube thes days. It seems to be very secure and if properly installed and maintained, seems to do a good job.
    Goats do like to have somewhere high to stand and observe from. A nice high mound of rocks or broken slabs of concrete.

I will be using the electric mesh around my new chook pen when i finally build it. New neighbours moved in this time last year with their managery of critters mostly of feathered varieties with hardly any fencing. It brought foxes to the area for the first time. So much more infrastructure required now.
    Depending on how that mesh goes around the chooks, will decide whether i use it for goats.

5. Ray Speed

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Have it all sorted :)
    I will be building them alittle stable Taj Mahal kind of house with kind of a play gym, ramp set up around it, we are jut sorting the paddocks in the back of the property it will be split into 4 separate paddocks :) fencing will be 4ft tall,
    we will get electric if we deem necessary, and I will also run a single strand barb near the top of the mesh fence also :)
    we are just arranging alittle Buck also, so will have a nice little family :)
    we have a wonderful adopted guard dog also :)
    and my girlfriend works from home so is a matter of meters away at all times
    if im home and I see a predator, it will be dead faster than it can get off the property :)

6. AndrewB

AndrewB Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I hope 4 ft is enough for the dwarfs. It is not for a normal goat, ours jumped them with ease. It also jumped into the back of a landcruiser, over the roof & down the bonnet. There is a lot of power in those little legs.

They are a great pet, very intelligent & curious, but do like adventures.

I look forward to seeing how they settle in.

7. Ray Speed

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    they wont go over a 3ft fence its plenty high :)
    we are just looking at a nice little buck also

8. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Oh Andrew, i can just visualize the cruiser being treated as a jumping gym! :D
    I've seen goats playing on a line of old wrecked vehicles.
    They really seemed to love loosing their footing and sliding down the windscreen!

9. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Goats have lots of personality, they should be great fun :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ray Speed

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Sure are heaps of fun, we are just finishing off the fencing today, then I will build the 4 gates, and start work on their little stable.
    our little girls are nearly ready to come home, 2nd one has just had her first kid (little boy) so they will stay where they are for a few weeks so that worked out well
    we have nearly split the back area into 4 paddocks and its looking great :)
    cant wait

11. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    When I was younger we had 100 goats, parents were breading for their hair. We had their main pen that had very nice fences and small mesh to keep them all safe at night, we had dingoes in the area. The paddock fences were standard fences, we found the goats would go through them rather than over them.

Several times they would get out and we would have to round them up. Even now we laugh about it. The call would go out “The goats are out” we would all get out and have to run a big wide birth around them to get in front of the herd and then push them back.

Was a lot younger then and fitter, it was just like a causal stroll ha ha.

When we bought them and lot of them were pregnant and gave birth in the truck on the way up from the auction my parents bought them from. The track driver put the kids in the cab with him to protect them. The mothers wouldn’t take them back, so we had to hand rear 9 kids. Talk about baptisum with fire, we knew nothing about goats at this point :D

Good luck with them

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Ray Speed

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    hahahaha
    thats gold,
    we are starting out alittle smaller scale :) im fit as but still dont wanna go running all over the place,
    chooks free ranging this afternoon or tomorrow in their new paddock also and we just got their new little rooster :) happy days

13. Ray Speed

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Awesome day, finished nearly everything 4 paddocks looking great gates and a few little things to go and bham
    chookies free ranging today eating so many little bugs n things, great to watch