Need ideas to grow lettuce.

Discussion in 'Subtropical Climate Only' started by Kevin Fast, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Kevin Fast

Kevin Fast Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I have a very small back yard. Litterally 10 feet from the door to the 6 ft fence. The area gets little to no sun cause it has a forested area on the other side on the fence. So im trying to figure out which if any lettuce i can grow. My area is in the 8a section. Any ideas?

2. AZ Orchard

AZ Orchard Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Are you planning on using a raised bed? They don't have to be large and would definitely help in exposing them
    to as much sun as you can offer them. I would think you could grow any variety you like.
    When I planted my first batch of lettuce and greens, I grew them on the east side of the house and they were
    partially shaded by radishes and edible Chrysanthemums and they did well.

3. Kevin Fast

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I can build a raised ned if needed. But even with one i think max 6 hours in the summer.

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    If it's good strong sunlight then 6 hours should be fine - I've grown lettuce in dappled shade and it will still grow ok given the right medium, fertiliser and water.

Lettuce also grows well in containers so a pot stands (to get some elevation) or grow wall against a back wall that can retain some heat might also help...

5. Tash Hender

Tash Hender Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Kevin,
    I've seen lots of articles/blog posts about people growing veggies in a vertical wall. If you have a veranda that you can hang pots off. you could try hanging pots. There's a few at bunnings all ready to go, I brought one last month and have herbs growing in it. There are also premade macrame pot hangers from bunnings which look really nice and are relatively cheap.
    In terms of what to plant, it might take a bit of trial and error to find something that will grow.

Hope this helps, Happy gardening

6. Kevin Fast

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Ty guys ill have to try and see if i can get some to grow.