Question Need help with no name Chinese incubator

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by DarrenP, Nov 24, 2017.

1. DarrenP

DarrenP Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi,
    We want to incubate our own chickens, and bought a FHQ-48 incubator from Ebay. Other than the number, there is no brand. The instructions, while in English (barely), don't say how to operate it, other than what the buttons do. A google search led me to this forum.

So can anyone give a basic rundown on how to operate it for an absolute newbie.

Thanks in advance.

2. Silver Egg

Silver Egg Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
  3. DarrenP

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thanks. I'll have a read.

4. DarrenP

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    So I couldn't find any manuals online, but found several good YouTube clips (including one from this site). After watching them, I got enough info to be confident in running the incubator. The girl we bought the fertilised eggs from gave me some good tips too.

5. Robyn67

Robyn67 Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
    Good luck with incubating. I've just started incubating on a cheap chinese one. First batch went very well and we bought another incubator the same. I haven't bought an independent thermometer or hyrdometer as the incubating sites say. As my first hatch started a day late, I think the temperature may have been down, so I've increased it slightly for this batch. I have bought and my own fertile eggs in both of them - some of the eggs were posted, so I'm going to see how they go and won't be too disappointed if they don't turn out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. DarrenP

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    It seems to be going ok. Not sure if I set it up correctly, as I get alarms from time to time, but all the settings look ok. Keeping the humidity up is the thing; I need to check it a few times a day, and add water if needed. Temps seem to hover between 36 and 37 degrees Celsius, so I hope that is ok.

7. Robyn67

Robyn67 Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
    Darren you might want to try to get the temp up a little. Ideally for chickens, from what I've read, it should be around 37.5 for first 18 days. Many people then drop it to about 37.2 or 37.3 for last 3 days, but many don't as well. If you can't adjust up, just see how it goes, they might just hatch later than the 21 days.

My settings said 37.5 temp for most days, but because it took 22 days for first hatch, I have assumed that it was reading slightly higher than what the real temp was. So for this time around I've set the temp to 37.7. I'm worried about this one for humidity as I wasn't able to keep it low enough this time for the first few days - sometimes over 60% and when I finally got it low enough my husband thought he'd help out and put far too much water in and raised the humidity to high again.

Oh and another thing I learnt from Marks experience on this site, if you have one of the plastic ones (I do), you need to put something over the top and sides to stop the heat escaping and to help even it out. i've used a couple of old towels.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DarrenP

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thanks Robyn. I trialled it before putting eggs in, and have it at 41.2 on the incubator, but it is only 36-37 inside, according to our infrared temp gun. I'll bump it up.

9. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Did they hatch out @DarrenP ?

I've just ditched my second Chinese made incubator after it failed on me. It worked great for about 12 months and then the heating element went crazy getting super hot and couldn't be turned down - it became a fire hazard so I threw it out.

A few weeks ago, I got myself a Borotto incubator Lumia 8 (Italian made) I haven't used it yet but I'm hoping it will be more reliable than my last two...

10. DarrenP

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    We're at day 18, but I'm not confident. Candling didn't show much movement the other day. Have to say, it took me a while to get the temps right with the eggs in. Now I'm more confident with it, I'll give it another go.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Don't necessarily look for "movement" rather look for mass and growth/formation.

If they don't hatch out be sure to do an autopsy on several eggs to see development and if you can find out any signs of why they didn't get to full term.

• Thanks Thanks x 1