NBN connected on my acreage

Discussion in 'Photography & Technology' started by Mark, Apr 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Unfortunately with telecomm companies, big or small, there is quite the deficiency in customer service. I cringe at the thought I have to call my ISP's customer service dept. Thankfully, the NBN wireless is running smoothly at our place at the moment and I don't have to call them for anything, hopefully never again. So they can take their money as long as the service works.

2. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Well I hope you guys are happy on your super-fast NBN what-have-you, I can't even get ADSL to my new address!!
    We checked it out months ago with Telstra and they said yep all good and now we've applied for it they say 'sorry, no ports available for you'!!! ***?? NO PORTS! Man I've had it with technology. I might just go totally off-grid....but then how will I get my SSC fix? Not happy...
    Mark can you just send me a newsletter each week via snail mail with the latest SSC gossip, and I'll send you a letter with all my posts on it. Sounds like a good plan....you in? :thumbsup:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Steve have you seen the price of stamps lately!? :shock: Ok, I'll do it if it comes to that :p

If there are no ports available at this present time then at least adsl is an option so what you should do is keep reapplying every 3 weeks or so until you jag one or Telstra gets so fed up by your persistence they upgrade the infrastructure... ;) That's what I would do :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steve

Ive been told I need to bug my local member to get more ports installed but I'm also told they probably wont upgrade because NBN is on it's way.....maybe around September....??
    And there is a slim opportunity where another provider has some ports reserved that I might get but I have to apply to them one at a time until I jag one that has a port for me. Why is this so hard? It's 2016 people, it shouldn't be this hard to get online.....:thumbsdown:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Well apart from the drag of getting the NBN at our place I have to say it has been heaven to have a constant internet connection at around 23 MB download. It has made a HUGE difference to everything in our household from my online work to the kids schooling plus I have to mention the entertainment value in being able to download TV on demand and the boys gaming.

I actually have contacted my local Federal Member several times and also (importantly) before the NBN was considered for our area and I really do believe it helped because when the NBN boundary was finally drawn we just happened to be the last street on the outer edge to be included under the "wired" plan FTTN with others behind us missing out.

Our local member (Wyatt Roy) personally kept in contact with me via email and his staff gave me several phone calls over the past 2 years to help make a case for better internet here and also represented me when the NBN had problems connecting to our home once it went live.

I do strongly recommend people (especially those out on acreages) contact their local member sooner than later and lobby them for better internet - just a simple email outlining your current internet access and costs and explaining the frustrations. Hopefully then your local member will ensure your specific area is covered or becomes active faster.

6. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Steve, do you get mobile phone coverage there?

Can you try getting a wifi hotspot app on the phone? That's what I do now at home. I just run the computer through the phone. *Of course you have to consider data usage / plan

7. Steve

Hi Stevo, yeah we've brought our wireless modem with us from our last place (Optus plan) but it is a real pain in the bum. It cuts out all the time and with only 10Gb of download I only have to watch a few of Marks high quality productions to be getting up there on download usage.
    We were really hoping to tell Optus where to stick their wireless internet once we got in our permanent house but that looks like it might be on hold until the NBN circus comes to town. The only good thing with the wireless set up is we can move around and it comes with us but now we're settled we want something a more reliable (and expensive).

Actually I took Marks advice today and shot an email off to my local member who promptly replied within 2 hours (well his tea lady did at least). They had a fairly standard reply but said they would speak to Telstra again just for me but I'm not holding my breath on that one. They also said NBN would be in my area in Sep and hinted that maybe I should just wait. Maybe I will....might have to have a conversation with the wife on this and make a decision o_O

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Have they started work on the nbn in your area or is September when work commences?

If they go with fixed wireless they could have you up and running pretty quickly at around 23mb download, which isn't too shabby.

9. Steve

I believe they have started work and mid Sept is the Go-Live date.
    From what I read it's not fixed wireless but I dont care what it is as long as it's better than my crappy wireless setup now. I can see what will happen, I'll procrastinate for the next few months whether I should try and get a port through another company and by then NBN will come along and I'll just go with that. Done :thumbsup:

10. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Well that's good because it's the "pending starting work" that is in danger of being put back time after time but once they begin the nbn build the deadlines are being met.

• Like Like x 1