Native North Dakotan

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sharann, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Sherry Robitson

Sherry Robitson Texas Bluebonnets Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I saw a visibale flake or two as I was working like mad to get pots into the green house. San Antonio had some build up, but Corpus and Houston had about 2 inches. Hmm so strange!

2. eggcentric

eggcentric Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    My first winter with chickens, I used a cinder block stuffed with and old string of Christmas lights, and placed a one gallon waterer on top of it. That worked reasonably well until the temps went down below -17, at which point I was switching out the water with one from inside morning and night. Then hubby put together an inverted clay pot with a 60 watt incandescent bulb inside it as a base. It did keep the water from freezing up until -21C at which point it formed a thin sheet of ice on the surface, but it was thick enough for the chickens to peck through until I could switch out the waterer again when I got home from work. I wasn’t thrilled about this though, because seemed to be a potential fire hazard: it could possibly get tipped over if the chickens were to bump against it hard enough. It made me very nervous. The following year I bought a used heater waterer from someone who was getting out of chickens. It worked fine to keep the water mostly unfrozen long enough for me to refill when I got home, but the way it was designed made it a real pain to open for clean out and for refreshing the water. The following winter, it slipped out of my hands one morning when I was in the process of turning it over after filling it and part of the base lip broke off on impact with the ground. However, that turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because I discovered that the one gallon waterers I used in the warmer seasons nested beautifully inside the part of the heater base that the reservoir screwed in to. I’ve been using that heater base every winter since. This winter I think will be the last winter for the heated base though, because the connectors keep working loose. Hubby’s decided that his next DIY will be to make a heating stone - resistors encased in concrete, so no exposed electrical components except the power cord, which will be wrapped with chew resistant conduit. We plan to start that project in the week between Christmas and New Years Day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Minus 20!! :eek:my goodness I didn't even think chickens could survive temps that low.

Do they get extra feathers?
    I'd need 3 feather doonas wrapped around me at that temp! :D

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Wow, sounds like a great project and idea also! Obviously, in the subtropics, I don't have this issue but it's very interesting how you have tried to solve freezing waterers for poultry. Please keep us updated on your progress/invention :)

5. eggcentric

eggcentric Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thanks, Mark but I really can't take credit for the idea ... I read a New England state (US) homesteader's blog before I got into chickens, so pre-2012, that came up with a solution for them that was energy efficient, and not a fire hazard. I will start a separate thread about our DIY and results if anyone is interested. Sorry to have hijacked your thread, Sharann. Didn't mean to, just wanted to answer your question. :)

• Like Like x 1