Nanna's frozen berries Hep A should be a wake-up call

Discussion in 'Exercise, Health, and Well-being' started by Mark, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Mary Playford

Mary Playford Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Ta LoveInNature, Mark is a valuable source for preserving stuff too. I watch his preserving videos and I give it a go. If I am not sure about something I just ask. I have been lucky that whatever I was making turns out good. That's gives me the confident to make other stuff :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. LoveInNature

LoveInNature Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I am still finding my way around and I am glad to have the time to do this today. I found the showcase section and am really loving the reviews and discovering new fruit and vegs. I really want to give making cheese a go. I have heard about this pub in Yandina that holds courses during the year which are excellent value. They teach you, provide all the equipment that you take home with you and the produce from the course. I will do a bit more research and put up the details.

3. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Another place where you will find people who give lessons on cheese making is at the Blue House at Yandina. It's the Permaculture place. They have speakers most Saturday mornings & the lady who talks about cheese & keffir, etc also gives group lessons.

http://yandinacommunitygardens.com.au/
    2017 workshops:-
    http://yandinacommunitygardens.com.au/?page_id=40

Somewhere I have details of 2 other women who do workshops. I'll track them down.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LoveInNature

LoveInNature Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    It may have been this place and they stayed at the pub overnight. Thank-you!

5. Mikielives

Mikielives Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Please share your Christmas Pudding recipe.

6. Mikielives

Mikielives Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Mary, please explain what you mean by the above statement. To me,, chook being a chicken means your afraid of peppers. I get the feeling you don't mean this.

7. Mary Playford

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    LOL, yea, I am a big chicken when it comes to hot peppers. Well, in my case chilli, that is what I have growing in my garden. :D I can only eat 1 or 2 chilli at a time because they are bloody hot LOL. Yes, chook is an Aussie term for chicken.

Here, we call bell peppers capsicum and the rest chilli and hot peppers. But if you ask someone the variety then they will tell you its a banana pepper or jalapeno....etc. However, if you are a pepper enthusiast you will know each pepper by their actual name. But then, it could just be me… lazy:yahoo:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mary Playford

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Here are the 2 pudding recipes I am doing

Fruit Pudding step by step recipe

Step 1
    Add 250 gr sultanas, 250 gr raisins, 250 gr currants, 185 gr mixed peel, 1 1/2 tsps mixed spice, 2 Tbsps glazed cherries to a large bowl stir in 1 cup raw sugar , 2/3 cup treacle or can use golden syrup, 3 Tbsps brandy (optional). Stir well, cover in fridge overnight

Step 2
    Next morning add 600 mil milk, 2 eggs , 250 gr SR flour, 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs ,185 gr grated suet , mix well

Step 3
    Wash and rinse 6 x no 28 fit rubber rings and butter inside of jars

* 7 wide mouth pints can be used

Step 4
    Divide pudding mix into jars , leaving 4cm headspace, wiped rims.

Step 5
    Place in waterbath , cover with warm water making sure to cover by at least 4cm

Step 6
    Process on hold boil for 210 min, turn off heat wait ten minutes, remove and stand until completely cool

**The lady mentioned that she doubled the recipe to get 7 jars
    gr = gram

Sticky Date and Raisin

500gr stoned dates, roughly chopped

300g raisins

400ml milk

3cups fresh bread crumbs

140g suet

100g soft brown sugar

2 large eggs

175g self-raising flour

1 tsp mixed spice

zest 1 orange

60 mil dark rum or brandy *optional

Put the dates, raisins, milk and brandy or rum in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 mins until the fruit is soft and the liquid has been absorbed, it looks curdled but its ok, let cool. Butter 6 puddings jars and add rings. Rub the grated suet into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs

Add the mixed spice, orange zest and breadcrumbs. Stir in date mixture and a pinch of salt, whisk eggs and sugar and stir everything well divide between jars should have 5cms headspace. Move a spatula around the jar to remove air bubbles, wipe rims and seal with a vinegar cloth ,seal jar with lid and 2 clamps process 180 min hold boil check water level and top up with boiling water if needed

**Note: Australians’ uses Fowlers jars hence the 2 clamps in the recipe. You can use Balls Wide Mouth Jars, so they will slide out easily. I am also going to try and make some in the half pint. Oh, you can use packet suet too.

I am not sure how many Ball jars to use for the one recipe but I have enough backups :D I only use the ball/mason jars and others that don’t look complicated LOL. I don’t know anything about fowlers.

If you are on facebook, I am under this name, add me and I will invite you to our preserving/canning group. There, you can ask further queries about the pudding and blah. :dance:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1