My temp winter veg patch.....

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
So with a north facing backyard (in Sydney) but plenty of tall trees to my north fence line, many of my raised beds get limited / dappled sunlight right now, thus I cleaned up a disused part of the yard which gets a decent (6+ hours a day) amount of winter sunlight and started potting. Put in a few cherry tomatoes (Tommy Tees - left over seedlings) up against the fence, then things sorta got out hand :D.

1593145710187.png

Moved some potted blueberries in, then bought some more as you do. Planted out some greens / herbs/ raddish / garlic / strawberries in pots and used some left over besser blocks and pavers to build a wee wall then decided to experiment with planting in the besser blocks during winter as whilst absorbing moisture, won't get too hot in winter and maybe keep the soil warmish. Two months in and the veg and plants in besser blocks are doing okay but was really surprised to see how well the tomatoes were growing as temps came down. Also bought and potted a Myer Lemon and dwarf Tahitian Lime during the week. Even found a couple of avocado saplings growing in the back of the yard (from where the wife threw them into the garden a while back), so transplanted and potted those to get them some sun during winter.

1593146130511.png

My first lot of blueberries on the way too.

1593146181814.png

This area will get way to hot in high summer as it's all concrete and Colourbond fence. As noted it's a temporary / experimental garden of sorts for this winter but will have to see what will / may survive there come summer unless I decide to erect some shade cloth to filter the suns heat.

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
awesome use of space!

I like the idea of planting in the besser blocks. I have some and want to try it.

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
That is so great GKW, even if it only gets used in winter, it looks to provide quite a bit!!

Top Bottom