My spring harvest

Davidwood1983

Premium Member
GOLD
May 26, 2020
S.E Queensland , Australia
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Just wanted to share this as I’m very proud of it but mainly to encourage others.

10 months ago I’d grown hardly anything except a few herbs in a pot.... This was my harvest today after setting out to grow more of my own food. Have to say Self sufficient me has helped me immensely in this , so thank you for that Mark.
And for anyone out there worries about taking the plunge?... it’s worth it!!!!

Attachments

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Mar 27, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
that's a lovely harvest, a couple of good meals in there plus some sides for other "not home grown" meals. Hope it inspires you to do/grow more and I also hope you continue to share your journey :)

Reactions: Davidwood1983

DThille

Oct 12, 2020
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Very nice.

Is that Swiss chard (or similar) at the top of the photo? My wife is a real fan, but the rest of us are somewhat ambivalent. Chard will grow in this region, but I’m not certain I’d want to devote too much precious garden space to it.

Reactions: Davidwood1983

Davidwood1983

Premium Member
GOLD
May 26, 2020
S.E Queensland , Australia
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes it’s Swiss chard. Most people assume it’s rubarb! We do use it in stirfrys and spring rolls, I’m not so much of a fan as a green veg as it’s a bit mushy. I grow it mainly as a back up to kale which is a firm favourite or cabbage greens as it seems to be a bit hardier and lasts longer into our summer. One or two plants will be enough and it is good shade in the sun tropics for other plants.

Reactions: DThille