My raised bed adventure - Hugelkultur inspired

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Stairs are poured, got some inspiration to make it look like wood while I was putting in the pattern with a broom - now I just need to find masonry paint in a wood colour that isn't $90. I placed the beds into position to mark where the holes needed to be dug for the posts. Also picked up 2m³ of bush mulch to fill the bottom half. Access to firewood cutting is hour or so away and I don't have a chainsaw - 2m³ of wood was going to cost me $320. The bush mulch was $25m³ - I've accepted that it will sink faster than had I used logs but I simply cannot outlay $ on wood at the moment. For my next 3 beds I hope to be able to have my brother cut the wood and deliver it when he meets his new niece - otherwise it'll be a title change (no longer hugelkultur style).

IMG_20200521_133559_resize_49.jpg

(Yes there's more work on the face of the steps to be done - mix wasn't sloppy enough to go down around some of the rubble correctly - but this give the opportunity to continue the wood pattern

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Beds have been dug in and levelled. 2m³ of the bush mulch shovelled in. Off to pick up some soil for the top. I'm pretty happy with the outcome thus far. No signs of bowing as yet - fingers crossed it stays that way.

IMG_20200522_144218_resize_32.jpg

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Looking good, I don't think they will bow, especially not with the timber on top. What will be the first things you plant in them?

Cheers Andrew. Will be planting some more lettuce and spinach as well as some snow peas. One is the perfect semi shaded for lettuce so will likely become it's primary crop. I'll see what other seeds I have to companion plant the snow peas bed.

All ready for tomorrow
IMG_20200522_162619_resize_69.jpg

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Finished filling the beds today.

Planted Spinach and lettuce (2 types) in the bed closest to the shed. Carrots, Beetroot and snow peas in the other.

The trellis for the snow peas is just 3 tomato tower things I got on clearance from Bunnings @ $0.51 each joined in a rectangle.

Please excuse the state of the rest of the yard - I have to move all the clay soil and bring the lawn back. Extension panels to go on the fence also.

received_694499011379678_resize_87.jpg

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Those tomato towers were a bargain!

I need to get some of those extension panels for my fence, they are so low around here. In Perth 1800 was minimum & I used to sell extension for those to make them 2100 high.

The previous owner started using green tin and there are sheets that were left in the shed to finish it. It won't look great and I'll likely paint it but it will keep the neighbours minding their own business. Currently I make a noise in my yard and they're out the back looking through the gap. They used to jump the fence willy nilly until I put cameras up.

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
coming along nicely. Just a tip on the filling of them, Not sure if you have any trees or shrubs on your property, But if you do, hack into them for filling the bottom in future. I built 5 beds in short succession and every tree and shrub in my yard got a haircut ;)
Also, on the stair paint, there are a couple of choices, acrylic paving paint or enamel. Acrylic is less hard wearing, but cheaper, and for stairs would probably last alright. Biggest thing is let it cue for a good period before painting, and depending on how you mixed the concrete, and what paint you get, you may need a concrete sealer. So read the labels!

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
coming along nicely. Just a tip on the filling of them, Not sure if you have any trees or shrubs on your property, But if you do, hack into them for filling the bottom in future. I built 5 beds in short succession and every tree and shrub in my yard got a haircut ;)
Also, on the stair paint, there are a couple of choices, acrylic paving paint or enamel. Acrylic is less hard wearing, but cheaper, and for stairs would probably last alright. Biggest thing is let it cue for a good period before painting, and depending on how you mixed the concrete, and what paint you get, you may need a concrete sealer. So read the labels!

Only tree I have is a palm tree that got a severe haircut when we got solar panels, poor thing is still recovering. Thanks for the tips on the concrete, acrylic will be the way to go I reckon. I won't paint until spring rolls around so it can not get rained on.

67HR

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Finished filling the beds today.

Planted Spinach and lettuce (2 types) in the bed closest to the shed. Carrots, Beetroot and snow peas in the other.

The trellis for the snow peas is just 3 tomato tower things I got on clearance from Bunnings @ $0.51 each joined in a rectangle.

Please excuse the state of the rest of the yard - I have to move all the clay soil and bring the lawn back. Extension panels to go on the fence also.

View attachment 4693
Hi Josh & Andrew, All looks great!
I checked on my beds yesterday morning after the storm we had on the weekend. Every thing survived!!
Here's a pic of how my veggies are coming along.
Rocket is taking off (pardon the pun) Broccoli is on the move and I cant get over how the garlic has taken off. You can just see the beetroot in the bottom of the pic.
Edit: heres the full bed showing garlic chives and onions
20200526_073723.jpg
20200526_073707.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GKW

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I was in the same boat when I started to fill me 3rd bed. I had cut down every tree to within an inch of it's life, then by pure chance I had to do a job for someone that was cutting down a tree. He was dragging all of it out the front ready to dispose of, so I asked if I could take some. Obviously he was more than happy as he then didn't have to get rid of it.

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I've got spinach, lettuce, beetroot and snow peas starting to sprout so it was time to stake the bird netting up (just had it laid over the beds). Saw an ingenious idea on Facebook and shamelessly pinched the idea for myself.

IMG_20200603_123515_resize_45.jpg

IMG_20200603_120007_resize_43.jpg

$6 of noodles and $11 of stakes per bed.

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Nice idea, but while you have the time, start looking for a more permanent solution to the noodles as experience tells me, you will need to replace them every year as the sun destroys them.

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Nice idea, but while you have the time, start looking for a more permanent solution to the noodles as experience tells me, you will need to replace them every year as the sun destroys them.

Yeah the netting will let go eventually as well. I've had the same on my chooks pen for 3 years and it tears so easily now. I have 2 ideas in mind - depending on whether or not I put in more beds. If I don't, I'll build a frame that will be hinged with poly risers. If I do, it'll be a larger version over the whole lot. I just wanted a quick and cheap solution. Hopefully soon my second job picks back up and can spend a bit more coin in the garden.

Spawn

Climate
Sub-Tropical
So building of the beds has been completed, just putting some coats of raw linseed oil on the capping before I attempt to move them into place. If I can't move them I'll have to wait for my brother to come around.

View attachment 4638
Hey Josh, is that galvanized aluminum?

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
No more pool noodles - shade cloth cover to come. I'm tossing up between 30-50% UV level.

Attachments

• IMG_20201114_142020_compress95.jpg
    IMG_20201114_142020_compress95.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 217

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
That frame looks great Josh. I need to do the same for a few beds.

Thanks Andrew, I used PVC pressure angles ($$$ - will be checking plumbing place) and data conduit (cheaper for 4.5m than 3m PVC pressure). Wife wanted hoops but I wanted the height for climbing peas/beans.

Top Bottom