My raised bed adventure - Hugelkultur inspired

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Looks good!
How are you intending on reaching behind the trellis, or am I missing something? :)
Hopefully this is clearer

20221207-145548.jpg

20221207-145559.jpg

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Ah that explains it :D

It looks really good - wish you lived closer to perhaps hire you to build some for me, haha.

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Ah that explains it :D

It looks really good - wish you lived closer to perhaps hire you to build some for me, haha.

The joy of these beds Mandy is that it requires minimal effort to build. Sheets of tin are standard sizes - 1 cut for the ends is it. You don't need the fancy corner caps (but recommended) - again only 2 cuts to a standard length of 80cm so no waste. Wood on top - minor trimming for long sides, bit more for the ends but still in realm of hand saw. The upright wood can be done by hand or with a saw. Only really need a drill for the tek screws and the rest can be done with hand tools (though electric makes it so easy)

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I suppose it would be to someone who has had those opportunities, haha.
I'm still learning as I go, never having held a drill until a couple years ago. Admittedly the tools we have are granddad's and he had the habit of buying whatever was the cheapest at the time, most of them not really working. The drill we do have rattles and I for sure know it's not meant to do that.
I am very tempted in sourcing some pallets and building some small raised beds for flowers in the front garden, but the step after that is probably borrowing a vehicle they can fit in.

Maybe one day though, I'll be able to do it all. Until then I'll marvel at others' creations :D

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
How have the beds been going @JoshW ? :D

Spectacularly Mandy, I'll grab some updated piccies tomorrow. Here's a couple from the other day - some Anaheims, black jalapeno and regular jalapeno

Attachments

• 20230116_195327.jpg
    20230116_195327.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230116_195340.jpg
    20230116_195340.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230116_195346.jpg
    20230116_195346.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230116_195332.jpg
    20230116_195332.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 48

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Oh and here's a bonus progress pic of some tongue of fire beans i currently have in one of my OG beds I built back in 2020 - the other has spuds in it and we all know how they hide the harvest, or lack therof haha

Attachments

• 20230116_195529.jpg
    20230116_195529.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
You've seen the sneak peaks, but here are the before and after of the raised beds I built (with assistance from them, thankfully) for some close friends. Filling will commence soon, with the aid of a dingo. About 450 sensibly loaded wheelbarrows to fill 😂

IMG-3850.jpg

IMG-3946.jpg

IMG-3943.jpg

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Oh my... that looks amazing! I'm so happy for you - and a smidge envious :D

Are you going to fill them all by hand, or do you have some small machinery to help you out with that?

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Oh my... that looks amazing! I'm so happy for you - and a smidge envious :D

Are you going to fill them all by hand, or do you have some small machinery to help you out with that?
They'll use a little dingo digger, thankfully I don't have to do any filling. I'm envious as well, can't wait to get a bigger place!

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah that'll save some backs.
Haha, we've got the space, "technically", but most of it is cow paddock. And those two buggers love destroying everything you love. Naughty cows.
I'm trying to reclaim an overgrown area though. And I'm hoping to get granddads permission to remove a tree or two so that I'll have even more space :D

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Those look great! any chance of some close ups of the joins?

I'm turning 10 IBCs into wicking beds & using recycled roof sheets to make surrounds so they don't look like IBCs :)

Have run out of old timber though, so looking for another way to do the rest.

Cheers

beds.jpg

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Those look great! any chance of some close ups of the joins?

I'm turning 10 IBCs into wicking beds & using recycled roof sheets to make surrounds so they don't look like IBCs :)

Have run out of old timber though, so looking for another way to do the rest.

Cheers

View attachment 8870

I don't have any handy sorry, I can swing them a message on the weekend and see if they can accommodate. I used the Detroit "kreg" style jig ($29 or $39 from total tools) set to 1 1/2" (the longest setting) and the collar at 1" (so 1" goes into drill chuck. I used 100mm clima seal screws from green shed. Tin is just under 85cm wide, so make the wood apportioned to whatever size, I used 90x45, so taking into account 180mm for the upper and lower lengths, my uprights ended up at 67cm. 4 screws each end upright, zip into the upper and lowers (no pre drill required with the clima seal screws) and then tin mounted from the rear with 35mm tek screws. Hope this helps until I get response

Lunai

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
You've seen the sneak peaks, but here are the before and after of the raised beds I built (with assistance from them, thankfully) for some close friends. Filling will commence soon, with the aid of a dingo. About 450 sensibly loaded wheelbarrows to fill 😂
These look georgeous!🤩

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I don't have any handy sorry, I can swing them a message on the weekend and see if they can accommodate. I used the Detroit "kreg" style jig ($29 or $39 from total tools) set to 1 1/2" (the longest setting) and the collar at 1" (so 1" goes into drill chuck. I used 100mm clima seal screws from green shed. Tin is just under 85cm wide, so make the wood apportioned to whatever size, I used 90x45, so taking into account 180mm for the upper and lower lengths, my uprights ended up at 67cm. 4 screws each end upright, zip into the upper and lowers (no pre drill required with the clima seal screws) and then tin mounted from the rear with 35mm tek screws. Hope this helps until I get response
Cheers, the boss found a heap of heavy duty 6 mtr pellets at a bunnings last week in Melbourne, so we have enough timber to finish them off now :)

Cathy

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical

IMG-3850.jpg

IMG-3946.jpg

IMG-3943.jpg
I love the timber frame. That will definitely help keep the tin supported.
Tip for filling if you are in a wind exposed area like I am on a new block like your appear to be.
Only fill 3/4 full with soil. That puts the soil below where the wind gets it and it drys out less. When I first filled one I could never keep it moist even with mulch. Now the mulch and soil stay moist after watering .

Top Bottom