My potted garden

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by AndrewB, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    All looks great Andrew. I recently had a bad infestation of Aphids. They destroyed all my bok choy, and some other greens. This was under my netted veggie bed so at first I wasn't sure how they got in there. Due to being netting keeps out the bad bugs but also the good. Next time I see a lady beetle I'll stick it in there.

Like you I took of as many infested leaves as I could and then I sprayed with Eco oil and followed up with Eco Neem at someone's suggestion several days later. You can also hose them off and use soap and water but due to where mine was that was a bit difficult.

I think mine actually got into my covered area from some curly leaf red kale I bought from Bunnings. That was the first plant to be infected and destroyed and it just went from there. When I was at a nursery last week I looked under the leaves of some veggie seedlings and yep there was some eggs. So I think dipping any bought seedlign in some soapy water before planting sounds like a good idea :)

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I take my hat off to you Andrew - what a great container garden and use of space! A fantastic thread also... Terrific pics!

I've been doing some extra research lately on container growing in urban areas for a 5 part video series I'm working on being produced in August and probably released around Nov/Dec this year. I need look no further than our forum for the info I need :D

3. AndrewB

AndrewB Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks Mark, I've been trying to encourage others to do it. When I'm eating a lunch of home grown vegetables, the most common comment I get is "I wish I had the room for a garden".

I show them photos of what I can do in my fairly limited space & tell them they do!

If you read the packaging on food in supermarkets, you will be amazed at how much comes out of China, the organic stuff especially. It make no sense at all for us to eat imported food when it's so simple to grow your own & you know exactly what has gone into it.

4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I second that, Andrew.:thumbsup:

5. AndrewB

AndrewB Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Time for another update, spring is almost upon us & the garden is really starting to come to life. There are bees all over the place & lots of flowers to attract them.

Asparagus if flowering. It has only been is a year now & while I could harvest a few spears, I'll let it work on its root system a bit more for now. I do plan to gather the seeds & start a few more off.
    IMG_20180812_153950.jpg

Chinese cabbage turned out to be a great grower, even in tiny little pots. There were a few slugs munching away on them at times, but not enough to compete with the quick growth.
    IMG_20180812_154009.jpg

Yarrow is continuing to grow well & if using it regularly for teas now. I have it growing in most of the pots as a shade layer to stop the sun from drying them out.
    IMG_20180812_154502.jpg

There is a pile of scrap wood that the landlord let behind, so I figured I may as well make use of it.
    IMG_20180818_103258.jpg

I made a basic frame & stapled weed mat to it, then sat it on top of plastic builders sheet to stop the roots from going into the paving. Makes a good, cheap garden bed with lots of room to grow that I can pack up & take with me easily.
    IMG_20180818_103321.jpg

IMG_20180825_120333.jpg
    First sweet potato & potato harvests were a little disappointing, there was way to much moisture in the soil. We have had really heavy rains here over winter, so they just didn't grow as well as they could have.
    IMG_20180818_103619.jpg

IMG_20180825_120213.jpg

Spring onions are flowering, so I'll continue to spread the seeds around the garden. Seriously, there should be nobody on the planet buying these more than once, the easiest thing ever to grow.
    IMG_20180825_120054.jpg

Turnips are recovering great from an aphid infestation.
    IMG_20180825_120232.jpg

I used the trees I have growing in pots as something for peas to grow up, which has worked great. When they die back, the roots will break down to add nitrogen into the soil for the tree to feed on. I'll cut up & drop everything else back on top as a mulch.
    IMG_20180825_120250.jpg

12 months after planting, this eggplant is finally fruiting!
    IMG_20180825_120454.jpg

Hydroponics is going well now that the daylight hours are increasing & the water temperatures are coming up. The plants in soil are doing better, but this was more about creating habitat for beneficial critters. The food is just a bonus.
    IMG_20180825_120510.jpg IMG_20180825_120522.jpg

IMG_20180825_120132.jpg

I'd love to do this as a career, just visiting peoples homes & showing them how easy & cheap it is to grow your own food.

6. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Gosh Andrew, your little garden certainly has done well. Congrats :thumbsup:

Re your potato harvest, I discovered if I planted the white and red varieties in a container on the verandah where i could control the amount of moisture, I got a far better crop.

Currently I have a 'crop' of white and red potatoes in a container almost ready to harvest. Its hard not to ferret around through the light weight medium to see what exactly I will get! :rolleyes:

I have a small bed of sweet red and purple potatoes outside in poor soil which I have been undermining for a root every couple of weeks. Soon I will have to dig them all up before rain comes or they will shoot and go fibrous. They got no extra water which means they got very little water as we are in drought here too.