Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Picked my last apple for the season a few days ago it's an Anne variety with a low chill suitable for sub-tropical climates and as good tasting as any apple I've eaten. Actually, I kept this one for myself and ate it in situ straight off the tree - awesome :)

anne apple variety on tree subtropical low chill.jpg
anne apple variety on tree subtropical low chill one bite.jpg
anne apple variety on tree subtropical low chill core all eaten.jpg

belveder

Premium Member
We have an apple tree approximately 30 years old, had one or two random apples that we have tasted and they are lovely but we leave them for the lorikeets, we see them so little in this area so we love having them once a year for their pigout session lol

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Just saw this thread. I hope to be putting in a few trees of this cultivar as well as they are suited to the SE Qld climate and are partially self pollinating. Do you have any other cultivars Mark? I know Anna can produce more when in close proximity to a Golden Dorsett or Einshimmer.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Which pests do you have a problem with?
Mainly fruit fly... they just love our apples! Also, birds (like small parrots) will make a big mess.

However, my grandparents had a granny smith apple tree in Toowoomba and neither fruit fly or birds were a problem.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
It seems the grannies are just a little on the tart side for pests to bother about them. I'm going to see how my own ones fare without much intervention also.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It's strange but you know my boys prefer granny smith apples to any other! Weird hey but they say the other shop varieties don't have any taste...

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I think that makes good sense. Fresh fruit off the tree loses its flavour with more time being stored, and most sellers have their apples brought in from their suppliers' cold rooms after some months. Fuji apples tend to remain quite sweet but other sweet apples do lose a lot of their taste in the cold room.

I'm keen to try my hand out on managing a mini orchard including these apple trees.

Ken W.

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Another reason they don't have the full flavour is that commercial fruit is not always picked at its prime for any number of reasons - mass harvest, pest protection, prevailing weather, supply chains etc. It's easy to test this point - pick some fruit from your home orchard before it's ready and taste the difference compared to ripe fruit. Sometimes impatience kicks in when you see the fruit hanging there and it is so disappointing to find it's not reached its peak.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Yes, I've questioned local growers who say the time picked has to be slightly earlier than when ripe in order for them to last as long as they do in storage. So fresh picking from your own trees allows for full flavour to arise before picking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom