Featured My Humble Garden

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Becca, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Becca

Becca Well-Known Member Premium Member

I thought I'd make a thread, where I can keep tabs on what's going well and what's not.

And of course, welcome advice if anyone notices any disasters waiting to happen! ;)

I have a lovely sprout from my attempt at trying winter cukes. It looks healthy and strong! So I will watch it with baited breath!

My broccoli produced some beautiful leaves for the chooks and guinea pigs... But no head for me :( is it too late to try again?

My sugar snaps are soooooooo sweet and delicious! I am training them over my archway at the front door!

My dwarf mulberry has baby leaves all over it! Can't wait to get some fruits off it!!!!!!! Childhood memories of purple stained hands and faces!

My capsicum is freeloading! I have had one tiny fruit, it's strong and green... But not flowering. :(

Any attempts at tomatoes have been pretty poor... Except for a random volunteer which popped up in my composted pumpkin patch. No idea of the type yet... Probably Roma or a hybrid of... We eat mostly Roma's here.

I have a heap of rocket and kale and lettuce coming up! Can't wait to start harvesting those!

I have some ground cherries to try in a few months when it warms up a little. I don't know the correct name for them. There a tomato with a papery lantern like cover over the fruit. I think. Apparently taste like a pineapple flavored tomato. :O

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Sounds great Bec! Lots of good garden treats going on :)

It's pretty hard to grow tomatoes and capsicums around this time in our part of the world. Not impossible but they can be tricky even in our mild winters. Having said that I have some nice beefsteaks ripening up and a good crop of Tigerellas plus some yellow cherries. ;)

If you get them in soon you should still get a good crop before it gets too hot - no problem. Might have to keep an eye out for cabbage white butterfly as spring hits but it should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Sounds like you are off to a great start. Will look forward to following your progress :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thanks for sharing. The winter vegetables will still need watering because of how dry our winters are relative to the summer rainfall. We've also got some broccoli growing and they're pretty thirsty. The strawberries are also proliferating and the peas/beans should be trained so you can access their pods. Well done so far.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bearded1

bearded1 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hi Becca,
    From your description, I would say what you have are Cape Gooseberries. We also live totally off the grid; -it's a great feeling not to have to bow to 'the man' as much as some others. It's also a great feeling when I see the Energex guy reading meters in our district and knowing he's not coming to our place:twothumbsup:.
    Regards
    bearded1

• Like Like x 1
  6. Becca

Thanks for everyone's advice and support! I am really enjoying learning tips from people in my climate! :D

I have five quite healthy looking tomato seedlings from my experiment! I didn't think they would work... So now I have to find a home for them in my micro garden... :eek: oops!

Also a spaghetti squash and three round yellow cukes.... Better start harvesting my pak choy to start making space!

I have baby teeny weeny berries on my mulberry tree! So. time for bird net! I'll be damned if I'm going to loose any Berries to the birds! We have rainbow lorikeets, ginormous cockies, along with the usual Maggie's, doves, a family of willy wagtails all living in our trees surrounding the area! So I have to be pro-active!

I started spring onions in a big pot, about 30cm diam. Can I just leave them in there? I have never grown them before... So I'm not really sure what to do from here... Heheh

Oh, and my chervil experiment failed miserably! All I managed to sprout was some clover which must have been hiding in the soil just waiting for the perfect time to annoy me! Hahaha

The road to less supermarket reliance moves on! :)

7. Ash

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Nicely done. The spring onions can stay where they are - they don't need a great deal of room .
    Keep at it and enjoy the freshness of home grown fruits and veges.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Becca

Well, I'm going to have to pull my finger out in the next week or so. My dodgy Kmart greenhouse has worked a TREAT! Now I have gorgeous looking zuke, lettuce, tomato, cuke and a few other bits and bobs ready to either plant out, or pot up. I am going to have to increase my pot collection this year! Trips to bunnings NEVER end well for my bank account.... :eek: image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've got one of those! Mine is a little old but still useful.

Getting some cucumbers going early is a good idea and reminds me I need to do the same :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ash

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I had one of those too. Unfortunately Toowoomba's winter winds huffed and puffed and blew it down. Now I use it as a plant scaffold.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I also have another larger one which I have secured by star pickets at each corner to stop the wind picking it up.

12. Becca

I just got my first two mulberries off my tree! Don't tell my hubby! I didn't save him one! ;)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Becca

DELICIOUS!!!!! :D

Attached Files:

14. Becca

My $50 greenhouse has worked so well! I have got a bigger 3x2 metre one! I'm going to leave my raised beds recover this summer! They are not producing much at all! So I'll build them up with chook and guinea pig poop and grow some pretty stuff in there... And use my greenhouse to grow my veges! I've lost count of the stuff I have planted out in there now... Three or four types of tommies, four varieties of cukes, lettuce, kale, a couple of varieties of capsicum, lots of lettuce! And a heap of pretties for the beds like sunflowers and nasturtium which will feed my animals as well as look good!
    I love the spring/summer months!!!!!!! <3

• Like Like x 1
  15. Becca

Well best laid plans Mark! I had a snail attack of all things! The little bugger ate ALL of my newly planted out cukes! So I had to start again! :(

16. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    What a little bugger! There's nothing worse than getting seedlings to germinate only for them to get eaten as they come uo...

My cucumbers aren't doing so well either because I've planted mine out in the garden and the nights have still been a little too cold - hopefully they'll pick up.

17. Becca

image.jpg
    I'm going to need a bigger greenhouse! ;)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Becca

Well... Just spent the morning building my big greenhouse!! Getting super excited to start actual veges growing!
    I downloaded the Gardening Australia app for my iPhone, and plugged in what I have planted and when... It automatically calculates when you should expect to harvest. Pretty happy with that! I tend to fall in the trap of thinking: any day now... For three months! ;) hahaha
    I can't get my photos the right size to upload... But if any of you have Instagram I'm @monkeyandthechimp over there, and I post pics of garden and chooks and other boring stuff like that! :D

19. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    So will you be using the greenhouse to start plants off or primarily as a growing area (like for protection from cold/heat etc) all the way to maturity?

I'm thinking of using my small seed raising greenhouse which is covered in shade cloth to grow some salad crops in this summer to hopefully help them withstand the heat. I'll just be using those styrofoam boxes with an automated drip watering system.

Perhaps you could start a new thread specifically about the Gardening Australia app - your initial thoughts, how it's going, how accurate it turns out to be, etc? That's up to you (no pressure) but it could be interesting!

My instagram thingy is self_sufficient_me - just followed you :D

20. Becca

**I'm going to see how it goes growing my veg to maturity. It's all in pots... So I can move it out if need be. But I'm leaving my beds to re-generate this summer, so my options are the backyard... Where the chooks and visiting wild birds reign supreme! ;) And i don't fancy building a fenced off area for the garden. (Again: I'm lazy! ;) ) I can always roll the plastic up, and just wire off the sides if I need to. **

** yeah ok, I'll have a play this week, and start a new thread on the weekend :) **

**hahah I just followed you back :D **

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2015