My 100% Organic Spelt bread recipe

bearded1

Premium Member
Notes:
This bread is heavier than white fairy floss, as it is made with a pure product. The same recipe can also be very successfully used to make pizza bases and naan bread. To make naan bread, roll into shape and cook on a very hot BBQ plate on one side until bubbles appear on the upside, then turn and cook a further 1 minute.

To make one loaf:

Ingredients
5cups white unbleached organic spelt flour
2tsp Himalayan rock salt or other unrefined salt
1.5 tsp dried breadmaking yeast
2 1/3 cups warm water (not hot)
Spare flour for needing and lining loaf tin

Method
Combine dry ingredients and mix
Add water and knead until smooth (2-3 mins in kitchen mixer, 15 mins by hand).
Grease a loaf tin with butter and coat with flour
Place dough in tin and allow to rise in a warm place (approx 1.5 - 2hrs depending on temp)
Preheat oven to 160 c fan forced
Cook for about 40 mins. Bread is done when it sounds hollow to tap and a skewer comes out reasonably clean (no sticky dough.

Enjoy warm with fresh organic butter (not margarine you Philistines) and a spread of your choice, or allow to cool, if you have the patience and discipline.
Very good lightly toasted.

Enjoy
bearded1

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
To make naan bread, roll into shape and cook on a very hot BBQ plate on one side until bubbles appear on the upside, then turn and cook a further 1 minute.
Thanks for this tip - we love our Indian cooking and spelt naan bread is something I'm going to try also!

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Wow thanks for this, wish I came across this post earlier. I tracked down a spelt recipe and made my first loaf in the bread machine a week ago, worked great. Slices are a bit big for me in a bread maker so I will use the tin for the baking part next time. I made a fruit spelt bread the other day using the bread maker to do the work but pulled it out, put it into the tin for the last rise and do bake worked really well.

I've just started using spelt flour, I can't tolerant wheat or any grain, well that was the case, been off them for over 6yrs. After reading a post on here about someone using spelt and that people who had issues with wheat can often tolerant spelt, I've been playing around with it, so far so good. Made a sultana cake, also yum.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've just started using spelt flour, I can't tolerant wheat or any grain, well that was the case, been off them for over 6yrs. After reading a post on here about someone using spelt and that people who had issues with wheat can often tolerant spelt, I've been playing around with it, so far so good. Made a sultana cake, also yum.
Wow, that's great! So is it possible that you may be able to tolerate a grain then? Albeit an ancient cousin of wheat although there seems to be some conjecture as to if spelt is wheat or not..

The following quote is from Natures Legacy
Q. So is spelt actually wheat, or is it a different grain?
A. In a January 1, 2006 ruling, the FDA classified spelt in the wheat family, even though there are significant differences between common wheat and spelt, including that the molecular structure of the protein in spelt is more brittle and soluble, allowing it to be assimilated more easily. However, to follow the FDA ruling, we are required to list ‘contains wheat’ on all of our spelt product packaging, even though our products do not contain modern, common wheat as we know it. In fact, our processing plants are dedicated exclusively to spelt in order to eliminate any possibility of our spelt grains and flours coming in contact with common wheat during processing. Every VITA-SPELT® product is made from 100% pure spelt.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
Climate
Sub-Tropical
As mentioned spelt is different to standard wheat, easier to digest and even though it has gluten it's different and lower so some people who are only slightly gluten intolerent seem to be able to handle it.

After being off grains for 6 years the inflamation in my body has reduced so I can have a little bit of things now but I don't over do it. I don't think I could go back to eating the same amount of grains as I was as the issues may reoccur.

I try and use ancient grains and one thing I have found with spelt so far is I've only found it as an organic flour, so that should help as well.

Still early days on it yet.

bearded1

Premium Member
I am trying an experiment atm. I have just made a batch of dough with only four cups of flour, instead of five and made it a little stickier. It's sitting in the sun rising right now. I am still going to let it rise to fill the loaf tin to see if I can get a lighter bread. I'll let you know how it goes.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I am trying an experiment atm. I have just made a batch of dough with only four cups of flour, instead of five and made it a little stickier. It's sitting in the sun rising right now. I am still going to let it rise to fill the loaf tin to see if I can get a lighter bread. I'll let you know how it goes.

That will be great, I've found too that it is a heavier loaf, more dense, not as soft as say normal wheat bread is. I did buy a loaf of spelt from the IGA and it was similar. I was going to replace some of the spelt with flax meal, then add some chia etc. They should help make a softer loaf and increase the nutrient value as well.

Good luck

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This is the recipe I used, http://www.grouprecipes.com/81772/spelt-bread.html I did find it needed a dash more water. Otherwise it worked great. Last loaf I weigh the flour to 600g and took it out of the bread maker to then do the last rise in the tin.

This was the loaf made in the bread maker as per the above recipe, but with a dash more water, have to judge that yourself.

Spelt-Bread.jpg

bearded1

Premium Member
Good looking loaf. My experiment with the 'less flour more rising' worked for me. A fair bit lighter loaf. Had some for breakfast with our fresh picked, vine ripened organic Tommy Toe tomatoes, fried in butter. Just had some for dinner with roasted pumpkin soup; delicious.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have a friend who is also experimenting with spelt bread. She has a someone helping her working a loaf using a pre-fermenting starter. I don't know much about it but it is supposed to give a better rising loaf. The pic I have seen of her last loaf was more aerated, don't know if you have any experience with this bearded1. Does seem like more work to do.

Director

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
So I got all excited to try this out and went to buy some spelt this morning....12 bux for a kilo???? That's an expensive loaf of bread and I can buy home made spelt loafs for about $6 from the local organics shops....so maybe later. :)

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It depends on where you buy the spelt flour. I can get it from my local bulk flour place, Simply Good for $7.95 kg, supermarket dearer. I have found places on line as low as $5.75 kg http://www.kombuwholefoods.com.au/buy/flour-spelt-unbleach-organic/FL2 you have to include delivery on that unless you loved local. I suggest looking on line, I will buy a bulk lot once I know 100% I am fine on it. But you do have to way up to cost, effort etc to making it yourself or being able to buy a loaf.

bearded1

Premium Member
So I got all excited to try this out and went to buy some spelt this morning....12 bux for a kilo???? That's an expensive loaf of bread and I can buy home made spelt loafs for about $6 from the local organics shops....so maybe later. :)
I get 2kg for $14.00. Still dear, but works out about $4.oo/loaf. I am looking for a bulk source, as I would be happy to buy 20kg if I could get it substantially cheaper, but I haven't found one yet.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I get 2kg for $14.00. Still dear, but works out about $4.oo/loaf. I am looking for a bulk source, as I would be happy to buy 20kg if I could get it substantially cheaper, but I haven't found one yet.

See my link above

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
If you can't eat plain flour bread without getting sick then paying extra for spelt wouldn't worry me too much to get my bread and butter fix!

You might not eat it every day so it could work out pretty comparable to people who by a fresh loaf daily.

I'm interested in having a crack at the naan in the first post - might do that this weekend if I can.

bearded1

Premium Member
If you can't eat plain flour bread without getting sick then paying extra for spelt wouldn't worry me too much to get my bread and butter fix!

You might not eat it every day so it could work out pretty comparable to people who by a fresh loaf daily.

I'm interested in having a crack at the naan in the first post - might do that this weekend if I can.
If you are making Naan, maybe add a touch more water than if making loaf bread. Make sure the barbie plate is very hot and do not overcook. Once you turn it over, brush the cooked side with melted ghee and garlic. If you don't want to pay the ridiculous money they are asking for ghee, make your own. It's quite easy and much cheaper.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
Climate
Sub-Tropical
As mentioned above the price of spelt flour can be a bit expensive. I have searched the web looking for places to buy it online, the postage can be the killer that often brings the price up to what I am paying for in the shops ($7.95kg). I found a few which I've included below, where you live will decide if it's worth buying from a certain place. If you are local and can pick it up then it will work out much cheaper, there are many more other places online too.

Santos Organics in Byron Bay, can be purchased from 1kg to 20kg, larger quantities work out cheaper

Honest to Goodness, based in Sydney, from 1 kg to 12.5kg since I am in Brisbane the freight cost made this not viable for me

Whispering Pines Organics, based in the Riverina area of NSW from 1kg to 20kg, purchased through Farmhousedirect which is an online farmers market where you purchase direct from the farmer or producer so support Aussie Farmers :) I ordered from them 10kg of flours all up, with $8 postage worked out at $5.80 kg which is pretty hard to beat. I'll give feedback on their service once I receive the flours.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Excellent Kate! I've been seeing a few new ready baked breads on the market made from spelt lately I guess the awareness is starting to ramp up. I purchased some spelt wraps yesterday for the boys lunches but haven't tried it yet.

Is there a better kind of spelt flour than others? I just got the generic spelt flour from the shop it looks like regular white flour to me (except expensive) is this ok to use also?

bearded1

Premium Member
Excellent Kate! I've been seeing a few new ready baked breads on the market made from spelt lately I guess the awareness is starting to ramp up. I purchased some spelt wraps yesterday for the boys lunches but haven't tried it yet.

Is there a better kind of spelt flour than others? I just got the generic spelt flour from the shop it looks like regular white flour to me (except expensive) is this ok to use also?
If it is 100% organic spelt, it is fine. If it is not organic, then it may have been sprayed with roundup just before harvest.

Top Bottom