Mushroom & Broccolini on Toast

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by ClissAT, Jul 13, 2016.

1. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I just love my broccolinis from my old broccoli plants.
    Here is a photo of just one day's harvest. The leaves are great to eat too. Mine are so big I have to break the leaves in half to fit in the frypan.

Broccolini.jpg

I also love mushrooms & broccoli.

here's an easy recipe, fat free, very tasty & a synch to prepare. Serves 2 as a meal or 4 as a side dish.

6-8 large field mushrooms broken up into large chunks in a non-stick fry pan or wide non-stick saucepan with a lid. Important to use a lid that wont let the steam out.
    1 dsp garlic granules or 3 cloves roughly chopped into pan.
    1 can Campbells Mushroom concentrated soup mix poured over mushies.
    1/2 can water used to rinse the can poured into the pan.
    as many broccolini as you want. I cover the mushies 3 layers deep.
    Put the lid on & set over gentle heat & allow to steam with vent closed on the lid for 15mins.
    No need to stir. Best if NOT stirred. You may need to gently drag a wooden or silicon spoon across the base of the pan to remove some sticking bits if the heat has been a bit high. If the sauce is a bit running, just continue to cook with lid off for a minute or 2 at most.
    Serve on crusty toast (no butter or other spread).
    There is enough salt in the soup mix. Added pepper is nice.
    Could also be served with an egg or some ham or bacon.
    Enjoy!

Mushrooms & Broccolini ingredients.jpg Mushrooms & Broccolini dish.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    It took me awhile to find the grub but I eventually saw it! :p

So are these broccolinis technically standard broccoli that you have left re-shoot after harvest? If so, I wonder if it really is practically the same thing and buying specific broccolini seed or plants is not really necessary then.

Thanks for sharing the recipe it looks great! My kids love mushrooms (and so do I) and the greens along with the soup looks like an awesome, tasty match together.

3. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes Mark, I let the broccoli plants grow on to provide broccolini for me & green leaves for cluckles.
    They keep growing for almost a year before flowering. I have plants from seed of both F1 hybrids & open pollinated organic from the likes of Green Harvest, etc.
    There's no difference other than the F1's don't grow as tall & don't branch as much so produce fewer broccolini.

The proper hybrid Broccolini grow slightly differently to the way they grow on the broccoli plants. They don't have the large leaves that mine have & if well fertilized will be a thicker shoot. But I like the larger leaves as it gives more greens. I'm not sure how long the F1's will grow for before becoming stunted from picking & perhaps they don't branch so much either. Whereas the broccoli, particularly the open pollinated seed, will grow on for a year.

Then if you let them flower & set seed you get more bonuses. You get more seed for the next crop, seed for chuckies (mine go mad for the little rusty coloured seed which I harvest once they have dried on the flower head) & flowers for beneficial insects to feast on. My brassica bed is always 18mths old before I turn it over to some other crop. The first year is production & the second year I allow the fallen seed to germinate so I can select the best seedlings to go into the next brassica bed. The remaining seedlings are just self serve chook food until they are all eaten.

So there will be broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kale, cauliflower all in together. Knowing what is what when the seeds begin germinating is another thing! In the end I gave up & just take the healthiest strongest seedlings & plant them all together again in the new bed so all the brassicas get mixed up.

By having all the brassicas together in one big long bed, if you didn't want to check daily for grubs, you would be able to put a frame over the one bed & cover with butterfly exclusion mesh. I check most days although there are days I miss, but the cluckles generally keep me honest by badgering me to find grubs for them. :)

4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    All good points!
    Do you ever get any interesting brassica crosses?

5. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    There could be but since I choose the best seedlings for the next round, I probably don't give them a chance.
    Maybe it's why some cauliflower looking plants end up having small green heads that don't come to anything!
    Although they do still grow heaps of good leaves for cluckles.
    But one thing to remember is that most of those plants have different growing cycles & mature at different times.
    Currently I don't have any brassicas in flower but over the next few months they will progressively flower.
    I have had hybrid & open pollinated broccoli cross because the first year that's all I grew & I got seed from both types so there would have been crosses in that lot of seed. If the plants produce 1000 seed I would only save maybe 50 & of those only 20 would germinate strongly & of those I would grow on maybe 6 & give all the other plants & seeds to the chooks.
    So chance of growing out a cross is very slim.

6. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I suppose I can't recall ever seeing a cross in my brassicas and that's probably as you say because they mature to flower at different times.

7. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Love the recipe. Mushrooms & broccoli, my two favorite veggies. I always let my broccoli grow on. I find that the broccolini just keep getting smaller & smaller & after a couple of months from the first cut I can't be bothered with them any more, too small so that is when I put them in the compost bin & plant new ones. Never thought of collecting the seed. I might try that next crop.

8. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Flatland do you have chooks?
    Mine absolutely love the broc leaves & seeds.
    So you can pull the green stumps out & throw them in the chook pen.
    Or if you leave them to seed & dry out you can still throw them in the pen so the chooks can get the seeds.

9. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    No chooks thinking about ducks because of REALLY bad snail problem

10. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    mmmm .....snail & broccoli.... no, not the same ring to it ! :hysterical:

11. violet

violet Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Loved the Mushroom and the Broccolini :) Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1