Mulching around fruit trees

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Great video log mate. Love your comprehensive explanations and examples. Thanks for sharing. Do you have a preference of material to chip into mulch? Anything not recommended to put in the chipper?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Great video log mate. Love your comprehensive explanations and examples. Thanks for sharing. Do you have a preference of material to chip into mulch? Anything not recommended to put in the chipper?
Thanks Ash!
Well, chippers in general don't handle palm fronds very well at all so I wouldn't recommend chipping them. Some people say eucalyptus wood chip makes the soil infertile but I chip all our fallen eucalyptus branches and been putting it in the garden and around fruit trees for years without seeing any issues.

I even know of people who chip their horse manure to make it easier to spread on the garden - not a bad idea!

Heard it has been cold and windy up your way - nice rug up and couple cuddle weather. :)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Great Job Mark. The place is looking great. Your wife will get a nice surprise :)

We spent the day chopping down a huge cane palm and another tree and kept the trunks and the palm fronds to put the in the bottom of the 800mm beds :)
Thanks Kate!

Great use of palm fronds! Good stuff :)

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks Mark. It has been pretty bitter up here, lots of chilly winds and unforgiving weather have caused some havoc for the juvenile trees and seedlings. Looking forward to spring.

Top Bottom