Motion Activated Bird Scarer

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by ClissAT, Dec 20, 2015.

1. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Company is called Entomological Supplies in Murwillumbah. Doesn't use much water.
    Great for driving off brush turkeys.
    Also works at night so might suit fruit bat problems. motion sensor bird scarer.jpg

I wondered if it might work against fruit bats but it's not easy to get the water spray to aim high enough to touch high on the trees. Perhaps it's possible to put a different sprinkler head on.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I have a Scarecrow motion activated sprinkler it looks very similar to yours - I got mine off eBay here.

I found it very effective and pretty durable plus the batteries lasted a fair time also from memory.

Mine is sitting on top of my water tank mainly ornamental these days because I kept getting shot by it when I forgot it was set and ventured into my vegetable garden. But the main reason I stopped using mine was because on windy days the movement of plants in the wind kept setting the Scarecrow off until it turned more into a sprinkler than an animal deterrent! :D

Having said that, I'm pretty sure it trained several possums in my backyard to never set foot into my vegetable garden because ever since I used mine for a few years I've never had possums back in my patch even though I haven't used it for years now.

Perhaps it's just luck but I have a hunch the Scarecrow did give my possum population scarred memories for life because that spray gun sure packed a punch especially when you weren't ready for it to go off - it scared the hell out of me many times :faint:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Skippyherron

Skippyherron Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Oooh i'd love to see a vid of the possum or maybe even human blasting with water hahaha!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    I can see how these things would work against animals, or bush turkeys on the ground, but whether they would work against birds I am not so sure

5. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    After being away for several days I returned yesterday to find possums had all but demolished my tomato room (hence also the bird net, vines & fruit)on my verandah.
    Pity I cant use this contraption up there!

6. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Mark & anyone else who has one of these.
    Are they still working?
    Is the motion detection thing still functioning?
    I ask this because motion detection parts of spot lights seem to fail after just a few months.
    Must all be made in China or some other elcheapo country.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Janine

Janine Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I am reading this and trying to not envisage a grown man yelping like a stuck pup... Sorry but this has tickled my funny bone completely ! Thank ClissAt for sending me this way!! Will check out the eBay equivalent of a man's water pistol for the cats and possums..

8. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I just had a good read of the listings on the page link provided by Mark above. Thanks Mark for posting the link.

I was interested to know the width of the detection zone, ie the degrees angle. Most spot lights detectors have a 90degree to 120degree angle of detection.
    But after reading at least one listing for each of the 3 brands listed on that page, there was no reference to the width of the zone.
    One listing had many comments under it. Many were good, some were bad & some referred to the motion detectors failing or not doing a very good job.

Also I noticed that it is not a well directed jet of water aimed at the animal, but rather the unit is fitted with a sprinkler head that puts out an upward directed jet with a rain aspect to its style.

Maybe that would be enough to startle & dissuade mot wild critters but I also note that to provide 360degree coverage it would take at least 3 units back to back. The critters would soon learn the arc of danger & avoid it.

Anyway still much food for thought & discovery.

9. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    warning - swearing or possibly offensive stuff

10. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I bought a motion detector sprinkler thing from Bunnings it worked sort off. It can be too sensitive like going off when big trucks pass by and then not sensitive enough. You wave you hand if front to in setting it up to make sure it goes off and there is a delay. ALso hard to get it to go in just the right spot. So for us it didn’t work well enough to be of any good.

11. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Ha ha Steven :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    :D:ROFL: Stevo! well done for finding this video!
    I really needed this to start my day off on the right note!
    As much as I like cats, I haven't had one for over 20yrs due to their propensity to do things like this shown in this video as well as eat all the wildlife.
    But along with the light headed hilarity came a deep sense of disappointment... in myself for not having a sufficient grasp of electronics to build something similar myself.
    Where does this guy live?
    Can we pay him to come to each of our houses in turn & build this very thing for us?
    Although he will be flat out finding any of that technology at my place unfortunately. None of my cars are modern enough & I don't have that sort of closed circuit security but I do have a few cameras.
    But there is a wrecking yard not too far away!

• Like Like x 2
  13. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    yeah i think we just have to do it the manual way, sit there with a hose and wait :oops:

See towards the end that he said after all that the cats still came back :(

• Like Like x 1
  14. Letsgokate

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Few weeks ago I went out and hose the possums up the butt, much more effective:D

• Funny Funny x 2