More Ginger Recipes

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by ClissAT, Nov 30, 2018.

1. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've been having marginal success with my ginger beer/ale recipes.
    Unlike Andrew, I've not been able to get a nice fizzy brew. But what I have made is nice on a hot day anyway.
    I have a healthy plant working which I keep in the fridge then get out to warm up and feed sometimes.

Here are two recipes that go together.

Firstly, make the Ginger Ale base.

1 cup boiling water
    1 cup sugar (I use white crystal cane sugar cos they're all just as bad for us anyway!)
    2 tbsp grated fresh ginger.
    Mix to dissolve the sugar, then steep until cold.
    Strain and pour into screw top jar and squeeze out the ginger really well for maximum flavour.
    For a really good taste, add half a cup of strained ginger beer plant juice (from making ginger beer).
    I scale up this recipe x4 and store in a 2lt juice bottle in the fridge.
    To make an ice cold drink, pour 2-3tbsp of ginger ale base over ice and top up tall glass with cold water and a squeeze of lemon if you have it.
    I sometimes add some fruit juice of pineapple and coconut.

Now to use up the leftover grated ginger which still contains a good amount of flavour.

Chocolate, Ginger Mocca Mouse.

100gm dark cooking chocolate, melted.
    200ml canned coconut cream or milk.
    1dsp coffee powder in 4tbsp hot water left to cool a bit.
    The leftover squeezed out ginger from the ginger ale recipe.

Mix the coffee into the melted chocolate, followed by the ginger and coconut milk.
    Use a soft spatula to scrape the melted choc off the sides and bottom of bowl or measuring cup you are using to mix it in. You can melt the choc in a 2cup pyrex measuring jug then add the other ingredients which helps with washing up!
    Turn mix into a nice serving bowl or individual ramikins and refrigerate at least 2 hours to set.
    Enough for 4-6 serves because its very rich. You'll also notice there's no extra sugar so if you choose unsweetened cooking chocolate you might need to add a bit of sweetener unless you like the bitter notes.

Serve with whatever takes your fancy. I slice banana and add coconut yoghurt and a shake of cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamon.
    You can add grated citrus rind, leave out the coffee, play with the ratios to make a softer or harder set.
    Watch out, it might pop your head if the fresh ginger was very strong!

This recipe can be used as the filling for tartlets or centers in hand made chocolates as an excellent gift. Once set (use a hard set ratio), scoop small half teaspoons and drop into more melted chocolate. Pick out of the melted choc with a pair of skewers. Bit fiddly but practise makes perfect and think of all those failed attempts that you just have to eat yourself! Once you get really good at making them you can make the center a softer set.
    They can be rolled in soft coconut or dusted with cocoa powder or rolled in crushed pistashios or have more dark or milk choc drizzled over for a pretty pattern.

Happy munching!!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  2. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I wanted to also add this recipe after trying it but someone stole the remaining lemons off my tree a couple weeks ago!! It was the neighbours I'm sure. I was waiting for those final lemons to get really ripe so I could freeze them whole.

Anyway here is a recipe I think will work a treat which I saw on youtube.

Fizzy Ginger Ale

1 frozen lemon cut into big chunks with one thin slice set aside.
    1 x small finger sized piece of fresh ginger, may also be frozen unskinned.
    Half tsp baking soda (which in Australia would be bi-carb soda)
    1 cup chilled water.
    Honey or sugar to taste.

Ginger and lemon into blender or vitamizer with water and blend til frothy.
    Taste and add sweetener. Mix a bit more.
    Strain into 3 cup jar and squeeze out the ginger really well for maximum flavour.
    Add the bi-carb then dilute to taste with chilled water.
    Pour off your drink over ice and refrigerate remainder for later.
    Top with the remaining lemon slice.

3. AndrewB

AndrewB Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That mousse recipe sounds great, i'll have to give it a go!

4. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Well how quickly things change!
    I posted those recipes for the ginger ale and fizzy ginger drink with all that sugar in them.
    I also made a new batch that same day but it seemed so sweet I wasn't able to drink it even when watered down so much.
    I realise my original plan to cut right back on artificial or manufactured sweeteners like high fructose corn syrup that pervades pretty much all processed foods, has also had a desirable effect on all my sugar intake.

My palette for sweet things in general is changing dramatically.
    This is good but now requires a rework of the recipes.

So for only the second time in my life I am cutting way down on sugar. The first time I was mid to late 20s and on a major health kick to be fit enough for the army and to keep up with and compete against the men in my chosen sport.

Yes I kept up with them but no, I never won or even placed. Mmm:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1