Mabuhay! (Hello! from Philippines)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Joseph Isaac, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Joseph Isaac

Joseph Isaac Active Member Premium Member

Hi everyone! I'm Jose. I'm from Philippines, a small third world country, which nothing in this world knew about. I live in a small quiet city - Naga City. I'm an agriculture student ( how ironic, my country is an agricultural country but very people takes up agriculture). My family is fond of gardening and farming. My grandpa is a farmer for almost 60 years. He is now 89 and still doing farming. I love plants, animals and green stuffs. We got a few hectares of land, which I have no idea what to covert it into (as of now, it's a rice field, a coconut field, and some few fruit bearing trees such as jackfruit, guyabano (custard apple), mangoes, caimito (Star apple), pineapples, and lots more. I hope I can learn from you guys and share toughts, tips, and ideas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Joseph, and welcome to SSC!

You sound like you have plenty of background (family) and experience in self-sufficiency already and I'm sure we can learn lots from you also.

Converting your land into a self-sustaining property should be an exciting and rewarding challenge please feel free to share as much as you can about your projects and journey with us.

Thanks for joining us and best of luck with your studies and self-sufficient development. :)

P.S Do you know much about the caimito? I have a tree about 5 years old and it still hasn't fruited. If you do know a little bit about this fruit please start a new thread in our fruit and vegetable section on the caimito (star apple) so we can discuss. Cheers!

3. Joseph Isaac

Hi Mark! I do have a bit of experience when it comes to caimito trees. My dad and I planted a caimito in our backyard and it fruited after 6 years. Caimitos tend to bear fruit after 5-10 years. I haven't heard any male caimitos (unlike papayas and pili trees. They only bloom flowers) so probably it is worth the wait. Grafted ones and those that are propagated assexually would fruit in just 1-3 years.

Sadly, when a burglar managed to enter our property, we decided to cut the caimito tree as we see it to be the burglar's entry point. However we got a few caimitos left in our farm. I feel shy posting a thread on it as I dont' have current photos of it in my computer. Our farm is in an island, a 4-hour trip from my place. March - June is the caimito season. It's usually the summer and dry months. It's not typhoon season and flowers wont defoliate.

I hope your caimito is the variety that produces BIG fruits. Usually, they only produce 2-4 inches in diameter however certain varieties would grow up to 6 inches.
    As I'm typing this, I received a text message from grandpa that our caimito tree only managed to produce few kilos this year. roughly just around 40kg (caimito trees in our farm are 15-20 years old). Remember typhoon Haiyan? well, my province got hit pretty hard but not a direct hit so the trees are just recovering from the aftereffects of that typhoon. They usually recover after 3-4 years.

If one of our tenants would come to my city from our farm,I'll ask if they could bring some caimito, I would post photos of it.

A little tip: Don't eat too much of it! If you eat too much and didn't drink lots of water you would constipate. :)

I love this webpage! I'm beginning to learn new stuff from previous posts already. Maybe after dinner, I'll post a thread about jackfruits, soursop, and sugar apple as they are the ones on season.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks for this tip Joseph that's kind of important and one I will not forget! :D

By the way, I have started a caimito growing thread over here...
    As I said, feel free to start any new threads on different subjects about fruit or vegetable growing or anything else you are interested in!

5. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Welcome Jose. I'm glad you find this forum helpful as we have as well. Your climate will be well suited to a wide variety of tropical fruits and vegetables and is the envy of many places in the world. Unfortunate there is crime to make things harder for you but keep at it as it will pay off for you and your family in the long term.

6. Joseph Isaac

Thanks Ash. Sadly, I also have to deal with bad typhoons aside from criminals.

7. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome to the site Joseph! It sounds like an interesting place! I look forward to seeing some photos of it.

8. Joseph Isaac

Hi steve! Here are some photos of my place. I took them 3 months ago. 10269629_10152422401536462_1291974101532623636_n.jpg
    10351014_10152422406986462_8307879445109203818_n.jpg 10425102_10152422409976462_3318848086136927930_n.jpg 11058408_10153172378351462_7045820569153567325_n.jpg 11081365_10153172383536462_1488101059462095866_n.jpg

It's a good place to get away from city life for a week. Aside from that, white sand beaches and fresh produce are just the things that would entice you to stay.
    I've read lots about citrus in this page and I would really love to try them here.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
  9. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Oh wow... I wish my backyard had those views :)

The soil looks fertile!

Yep, I think citrus would grow well for you. Generally, very hardy trees to grow and very productive - I reckon they are an extremely valuable fruit tree and definitely my favourite.

10. Ken W.

Ken W. Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    What a wonderful location. Welcome to the group and look forward to learning about tropical growing.

11. Joseph Isaac

Hi Ken! I'm glad I can share some things about tropical growing.Although I am more interested in what people plant and grows in temperate zones, particularly in Australia. (Im planning to leave my country and go abroad after I'm done with my priorities, maybe NZ or AUS. I heard jobs like butchering/ dairy farming/ agriculture related jobs are in-demand in those areas. Might as well try my luck..lol)

12. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Awesome looking property Joseph!

13. Director

Director Valued Member Premium Member

Welcome aboard Joseph, those photos look nice and warm. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. bearded1

bearded1 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hi Jose,
    I was in the Philippines on Siargao Island a couple of years ago. My friend and I started a charity a few years ago and one of the things we do is clean water projects. We are currently working with the authorities on the Island to provide clean water to the entire population of the Island. Also there is a school on the Island that is run by a Canadian couple and the wife (Jenny) is trying to develop a sustainable model of subsistence farming that can be taken to any part of the Island to help with the food problems. I spent a bit of time with her and offered some limited advice to her about growing crops and slaughtered a lamb for them. I love the Philippines, but it would be hard to live there, unless you had money. The people are very friendly on the Island. We also spent a little time in Cebu, but the people were not as friendly. All the best with your plans and I look forward to your participation in this forum.
    Bearded1

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joseph Isaac

@bearded1 . Hello there! It's nice to know someone who has been in my country. Siargao is a nice island btw. Its famous for its surfing waves and beaches. I'm also glad that people are helping my countrymen improve their lives. Its also true that poor people here will have abit of a struggle in their daily lives. If there's something that I love in this page, It's the experience and the ideas that everyone has shared. I usually compile them in my notes and share them to our workers for them to have an increase in subsistinence. Living for $1.44 a day is very tough for our workers and I think, if I'll ask them on how to become self sufficient, they could really share alot.

also, I agree with you. People living in rural communities are alot friendlier than those living in metropolitan areas. They may have less in life but you can be happier when you have them around.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  16. CharlieMorgan

CharlieMorgan Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Jose,
    I'm Australian! i studied Civil engineering majoring in envrimental systems and sustainability. I just booked a trip to the Phillipines, im starting in Manila and travelling down to Cebu over two weeks. From the 30 of December. I would absolutely love to come and see your self sufficient farm and learn from you. I am interested in establishing a network amongst people in the Oceanic and south east Asian continents. People intersted in social enterprise and sustainable environmental systems and development.

Im also travelling with my partner who is American and did enviromental studies in college.

Let me know if this is a possibility.
    This is us!
    Rachel and Charlie

Attached Files: