Low Carb Diet & eat more fat makes perfect sense

Discussion in 'Exercise, Health, and Well-being' started by Mark, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I agree but "exclusion" is the word I think. Too many people get sucked in by exclusion diets that are typically unrealistic and sometimes even dangerous! Eating less carbs ie a low carb diet is another way for saying eat healthy.

The science on diet and how foods are absorbed by the body is catching up; however, it has been drastically behind in this area for years and it's one of the reasons this info gap has been filled by millions of diet fads. Hopefully, this next decade we'll see more evidence based research showing clearly what different foods do to us. Then, it needs to be promoted to educate people about food and try to slow down the amazing upturn in obesity.

The latest research is clearly showing carbs as the culprit in the current obesity crisis and it also shows it doesn't matter if the carb is low GI or not because it is still eventually absorbed by the body the same way. This is an interesting development as it means you can't just cut out refined sugar, refrain from soft drinks and chocolates then eat a bucket load of pasta, bread, and rice every day and think you'll lose weight. The old pyramid of food is wrong.

Yes, cutting out the soda drinks and indulgent sweets (or at least not making them the norm in a daily diet) is very important but eating a low carb diet also means eating less bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, and other high carb dense foods. Eating less high density carbs... not removing them altogether is the key IMO.

Some of us do interpret eating a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy lifestyle as eat plenty of whole foods and do regular exercise; however, many others (I would say the majority) whilst they do get the exercise bit they have no idea what a healthy whole food diet looks like. And that's why when they go on an exclusion diet it fails in the end because they tend to replace one carb for another and also totally give up something they love to eat!

But before the "eat everything in moderation plus exercise" pops up again may I say that's another myth... People can unknowingly eat way more sugar than they should in a day and believe they are eating healthy. Until the majority of people understand a grain of sugar, a piece of bread, grain of rice, pasta, potato are all the same just in different disguises there will be a growing obesity problem in society.

There may well be new research in the future that shows some refined carbs (like spelt) are absorbed differently but I would guess whilst it may be better processed by the body it probably still is another sugar that should be eaten in moderation and in consideration with what other carbs we eat in a day.

There's lots more to chat about on this subject - I'm obviously pretty opinionated on it but I'm not agro I'm just passionate!

It's not the oil around the fries that's the problem anymore, it's the potato... :)

2. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    We human beings are a funny bunch. We sway from fad to fad often following what is in vogue at the time because we like to fit in with the culture of the day. Diets and lifestyle are no different but there are some fundamental truths that don't disappear by virtue of what's in or out according to the culture of the day.

Each of us has different metabolic needs and thus energy is absorbed and utilised in such variability, even varying in the same individual from year to year. Age and stage of life, physical activity and genetics all interplay and determine the metabolism of each person at that time. So dietary advice itself ought to be as dynamic as their own metabolic system.

In the end it matters less what diet or lifestyle is adopted, as long as it works for the individual and that improved health is attained by the changes that are made, ultimately best maintained for life rather than temporarily achieved then left to revert back to old unhelpful habits.

3. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's very true :cheers:

4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Had to try some and it's pretty good :)
    spelt bread.jpg

5. bearded1

bearded1 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Excellent. I made some yesterday; -had it with pea and ham soup last night that the missus made and will have it for breakfast in about 2 hours. Magnificent.

Is that loaf 100% spelt and how much?

6. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Ha ha... I knew someone would ask the price and yes it is 100%

$7.50

shock.jpg

7. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Time to make your own and publish the recipe here. This is after all the self-sufficiency forum!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. bearded1

bearded1 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just posted my recipe in the cooking and food section.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    YEAHHHH, but I also like supporting our organic community... :p

Here's the link to Bearded1's 100% Spelt bread (and naan bread) recipe. :twothumbsup:

10. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I bought the same bread and yes it was pretty good but expensive, is a big loaf though. I hadn't had any of the notifications on this post Mark, just saying here so you can see which ones.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah like you said over at Bearded1's recipe thread it is a little heavy though... closer to a rye bread. Still very good!