Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
They're looking great - cracking on jalapenos is pretty normal when you leave them mature. Looks like a good mix you have there.

I've lost quite a few capsicum myself to fruit fly but like you I'm getting enough (still haven't set my traps up yet - lazy me).

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
hrm, the Fruit flies haven't tocuhed the orange chilli things (i forgot what they're called) and they haven't touched too many of the long red chillies, they seem to prefer the big Jelepinos.

I've had soo many tomatoes that i'm a bit over them and pulled some out, i think i've got to re-think what i want to grow, maybe try one or two of each thing and not have big crops of stuff i can't use.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Habanero chillies is what they probably are...

The jalapenos have less acid than the hot varieties so easier for the fruit fly eggs to survive.

You could make some preserves with the glut?

armysnail

Premium Member
Chillies are related to tomatoes. Inconsistent watering causes splitting in tomatoes. That is you water daily then forget for a few days then water again. It's probably the same as our response to dieting. Your body wants to gorge when you miss a meal and you over indulge.

Bea

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
hrm, the Fruit flies haven't tocuhed the orange chilli things (i forgot what they're called) and they haven't touched too many of the long red chillies, they seem to prefer the big Jelepinos.

I've had soo many tomatoes that i'm a bit over them and pulled some out, i think i've got to re-think what i want to grow, maybe try one or two of each thing and not have big crops of stuff i can't use.
since I am solo,I am with you on the over production of vegies. I try to grow just what I think I will use and then re-plant - succession gardening? or just wait for awhile - as with sweet potatos - love these guys but i do like a break!

Bea

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
since I am solo,I am with you on the over production of vegies. I try to grow just what I think I will use and then re-plant - succession gardening? or just wait for awhile - as with sweet potatos - love these guys but i do like a break!
the other side of this is that I love green smoothies and never, never have enough plain greens. i keep finding a new place to grow.

Wayland.

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Planning what and how much to grow at the beginning of the season is a fun time for us. The problem is we cannot predict the seasons to come and the effect it would have on our harvest. This year is a case in point. Drought! yes, here in Ireland! With a hosepipe ban in place it has been bit of a disaster for most crops grown outside. Trying to be self-sufficient we need to over produce, just incase. As to overproduction and adhering to the principle that any waist is bad. We have a stall at the local mart, and what does not get sold goes through the pig.

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Planning what and how much to grow at the beginning of the season is a fun time for us. The problem is we cannot predict the seasons to come and the effect it would have on our harvest. This year is a case in point. Drought! yes, here in Ireland! With a hosepipe ban in place it has been bit of a disaster for most crops grown outside. Trying to be self-sufficient we need to over produce, just incase. As to overproduction and adhering to the principle that any waist is bad. We have a stall at the local mart, and what does not get sold goes through the pig.
The chooks and cows get our over production. But the drought this year has affected us in SE Queensland where I live.

Chris n Jen

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes, I made'em :) Most supermarket ones are over-processed/cooked and that's why they are too soft. I only bring mine to the boil (within my pickling mix) then turn the heat straight off and bottle.

"Build" thread? You mean a building DIY thread or something like that? If you want I could make one up...?
Any clues on your picking mix ???? I have brought big jars of sliced pickled jalapenos from aldi and love them.
But the last 6 jars arnt pickled.
I have then got the pickle juice from pickle onions and put them in that for awhile it seems to work but not as good as the first lot.
I love the pickle onion flavor.

ToeNailz

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
See if I can get in first before everyone else does... ;)

Looks like you're doing a pretty good job at growing them without anyone's help!

Here's my 2 cents but others may have more info on how they grow them - Feed with a fertiliser (according to instructions) reasonably high in potassium (like tomatoes) this will help the plant to produce more fruit not too much nitrogen or you'll get too many leaves with less chilies. If you wanted to keep it as a perennial after it has finished its fruiting give it a trim back by about 1/3 and it'll regrow next season but may not fruit as well - still good though.

Let a few ripen full on the plant and then squish them into the ground you should get seedlings in spring to dig up and replant.

View attachment 140
Pickled jalapeno's great on pizza :chuffed:
🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤
Hey Mark !! .. any chance of sharing your Recipe for ya picked jalapeno's ???

ToeNailz

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
No .. i have seen and made both (1 still fermenting)
i was looking for his version of this one
Jalapeno pickled chillies.jpg

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'm not sure if Mark has ever done it as I can't find a video on it, but I did find plenty of other people who've shown how to do it. I'll put an example below.
If Mark has done it it may have been named differently. The only thing I could find was on his website, where it was onions with jalapinos.

Top Bottom