Question Jalapenos / chillies!

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by stevo, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    They're looking great - cracking on jalapenos is pretty normal when you leave them mature. Looks like a good mix you have there.

I've lost quite a few capsicum myself to fruit fly but like you I'm getting enough (still haven't set my traps up yet - lazy me).

2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    hrm, the Fruit flies haven't tocuhed the orange chilli things (i forgot what they're called) and they haven't touched too many of the long red chillies, they seem to prefer the big Jelepinos.

I've had soo many tomatoes that i'm a bit over them and pulled some out, i think i've got to re-think what i want to grow, maybe try one or two of each thing and not have big crops of stuff i can't use.

3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Habanero chillies is what they probably are...

The jalapenos have less acid than the hot varieties so easier for the fruit fly eggs to survive.

You could make some preserves with the glut?

4. armysnail

armysnail Active Member Premium Member

Chillies are related to tomatoes. Inconsistent watering causes splitting in tomatoes. That is you water daily then forget for a few days then water again. It's probably the same as our response to dieting. Your body wants to gorge when you miss a meal and you over indulge.

5. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    since I am solo,I am with you on the over production of vegies. I try to grow just what I think I will use and then re-plant - succession gardening? or just wait for awhile - as with sweet potatos - love these guys but i do like a break!

6. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    the other side of this is that I love green smoothies and never, never have enough plain greens. i keep finding a new place to grow.

7. Wayland.

Wayland. Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Planning what and how much to grow at the beginning of the season is a fun time for us. The problem is we cannot predict the seasons to come and the effect it would have on our harvest. This year is a case in point. Drought! yes, here in Ireland! With a hosepipe ban in place it has been bit of a disaster for most crops grown outside. Trying to be self-sufficient we need to over produce, just incase. As to overproduction and adhering to the principle that any waist is bad. We have a stall at the local mart, and what does not get sold goes through the pig.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lois

Lois Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    The chooks and cows get our over production. But the drought this year has affected us in SE Queensland where I live.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris n Jen

Chris n Jen Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Any clues on your picking mix ???? I have brought big jars of sliced pickled jalapenos from aldi and love them.
    But the last 6 jars arnt pickled.
    I have then got the pickle juice from pickle onions and put them in that for awhile it seems to work but not as good as the first lot.
    I love the pickle onion flavor.