Question Jalapenos / chillies!

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by stevo, Jun 28, 2013.

1. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I love my chillies! .... i prefer the big ones because they fill out your recipe/meal a bit more, i have a couple of different ones, ... i got this one not long ago and now it's got some awesome fruit on it! ... i'm soooo tempted to try one but they look too good to remove ..

does anyone have any tips for growing these things? I'm not expert.

[​IMG]

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    See if I can get in first before everyone else does... ;)

Looks like you're doing a pretty good job at growing them without anyone's help!

Here's my 2 cents but others may have more info on how they grow them - Feed with a fertiliser (according to instructions) reasonably high in potassium (like tomatoes) this will help the plant to produce more fruit not too much nitrogen or you'll get too many leaves with less chilies. If you wanted to keep it as a perennial after it has finished its fruiting give it a trim back by about 1/3 and it'll regrow next season but may not fruit as well - still good though.

Let a few ripen full on the plant and then squish them into the ground you should get seedlings in spring to dig up and replant.

Jalapeno pickled chillies.jpg
    Pickled jalapeno's great on pizza :chuffed:

3. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    cheers Mark, are those yours? :eek: .. that's awesome. Where's the build thread? or maybe i haven't found it yet. Forums are like Rabbit warrens sometimes.

On a different note, i have bought some of the supermarket/jared product - for tacos, i love them, but they are on the soft side (too old and squishy?), and strangley enough i always feel sick afterwoods.

4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes, I made'em :) Most supermarket ones are over-processed/cooked and that's why they are too soft. I only bring mine to the boil (within my pickling mix) then turn the heat straight off and bottle.

"Build" thread? You mean a building DIY thread or something like that? If you want I could make one up...?

5. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    yer i'm used to 4wd forums, we call everything build threads, (i made this bullbar)(i built this trailer) etc. I guess it's different in the farming scene.

Good idea, i'll probably spread a few of the plants around the yard. I bought some of the big chillies from the supermarket and planted the seeds, that's how i got my chilli plants.

hrm, maybe i need to build a pizza oven.

6. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Done :) - it's called Building Things (under the "Other Self Sufficiency Disciplines" category)

Edit: Added this section in the Showcase also and it will auto link to the forum.

Oh yeah...:idea:

7. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    hah, you just like making new categories. Maybe my table fireplace should go in there? I'll have to put a few of my things in there.

8. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

Hey guys just my two cents worth, I have just one small chilli bush (very small but potent fruit) in a small pot and it is never without fruit. I'm not sure of the type of chilli but it just doesn't stop. And I really have never known how to look after it properly, i.e should I re-pot it, if so when, what fertiliser etc.
    The chillies that don't make it to my kitchen just drop off or get pinched off and are always sprouting in the dirt underneath. I really should dig them up and plant them elsewhere but never bothered as I always have enough.

And yes I want to see a 'build thread' of a pizza oven. This is my life long dream to build one of those beauties.

Cheers.

9. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical

It might be a mini-birds eye Thai - does the fruit look like this (below - click to enlarge)?

small thai chilli 700.jpg

If this is similar to the plant you have, it's pretty long lived but will likely die or significantly reduce fruiting after 3-4 years. I would keep the one you have for as long as it keeps producing but in the meantime start one of your seedlings off in another small pot. Sprinkle a little NPK (Brunnings) around the base and it should be ok. When the big one dies, just pot the smaller one up.

That's my opinion anyway - happy to hear others... And, could someone please build a pizza oven and put it in our build section? :p

10. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That will take incredible concentration, thought, engineering, planning and development. I'll have some rums and play with my brick pile :cheers: .... one issue I can see is selecting the right kinds of bricks, so they don't crack, depending on the temps.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steve

Well they look similar but smaller even. Good advice about growing the seedlings for insurance so if it does die off I'm still good on the curry front.
    I actually do that with my basil plants as they sprout up everywhere in the small bit of dirt my yard does have. I transfer them to small pots and build up stock for when my large basil plants die off i can easily transplant to my larger pots. I dont need to grow basil from seed too often.

12. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Problem! ... the fruit are starting to go from green to red which is good, but also have developed some cracked skin which runs vertical on the fruit. Any ideas what that is? Maybe not enough water?

13. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    a quick google, the cracking may be caused by wet weather then in dry weather the cracks look worse, but doesn't seem to be a big drama?

while searching i saw this comment:
    ==============
    A successful homemade remedy for caterpillars on my caulis, peppers etc ... 2 cloves of garlic, mushed. 2 cups of water. Mix the two and allow to "ferment" for a day. Using a tea-towel (because it's thicker), separate the liquid from the garlic pulp, then pour liquid into a spray bottle. Add 1 tsp of dishwash liquid (for stickability). Spray onto your plants until just wet, both sides of leaves. Makes sure you get a good spray around the heads of vegetables, as caterpillars love hiding at the heart of it all! Also good for killing off the white butterfly babies that lurk under leaves. Caterpillars hate garlic. The acid in garlic has a burning effect on them, and will kill them.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's normal for jalapenos and nothing to worry about. Sometimes they will grow larger without cracking and often they will crack as the fruit ages (that's why most supermarkets sell jalapenos green).

15. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Next issue..... When I open them up, they have a bit of brown dead type stuff inside and a tiny grub, or could be like a fruit fly lava? :facepalm:

16. Steve

My guess is they are Mexican grubs! They like it hot. :hysterical:
    Are they wearing sombreros? It's normally a dead give away! :hysterical:

Sorry mate couldn't resist the joke.
    But seriously, that doesn't sound good at all. Are you finding a grub in each fruit?

• Like Like x 1
  17. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    yes! it looked like this one!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steve

Yes, that's the one.....very nasty hombre's.
    Be careful, sometimes they carry pistols! :secret:

19. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    It's more then likely Mexican fruit fly - the weather's starting to warm up so they will start becoming active now. Sometimes fruit fly larva can be identified by jumping (I'm not making a jumping bean joke here) truly - QLD fruit fly larva can "spring" several inches. This one is probably a Mexican cross though so it may jump and shoot pistols in the air at the same time... :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've been getting some good chillies, losing a few to fruit fly, but atleast i get some. Photo from this morning.

Getting some cracking on a couple of Jelepinos

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1