Chickens Ivermectin for chickens

traciv

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Mark, I am in the US, and I am trying to find ivermectin for my chickens to treat for mites, lice, worms, etc. I found a pour on brand for cattle. It contains 5 mg of ivermectin per ml. Is this the right concentration for chickens? Would I still use 1 ml? Thank you. Traci

Attachments

• 9C30B2AE-5AE6-4A23-9752-5E8F46AEBB33.jpeg
    9C30B2AE-5AE6-4A23-9752-5E8F46AEBB33.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 88

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Welcome to the forum @traciv !
Sadly I don't know enough about this to feel happy giving you my opinion; but regardless I do think that might be too strong a concoction for chickens - as it's aimed towards larger animals like cattle.

Mark has actually written an article around this and I recommend you give it a read. Good luck!

traciv

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thank you for the article, it was helpful. I did a little more research. I found out that 5 mg/ml is a 0.5% concentration. 10mg/ml is a 1% concentration. I had a month long battle with mites last fall and I am afraid they are “waking up” as this spring is approaching. I really need to get on top of things before they get out of control.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thank you for the article, it was helpful. I did a little more research. I found out that 5 mg/ml is a 0.5% concentration. 10mg/ml is a 1% concentration. I had a month long battle with mites last fall and I am afraid they are “waking up” as this spring is approaching. I really need to get on top of things before they get out of control.
Another thing you could possibly work on is keeping the area they sleep/nest in clean. And potentially spraying that, rather than the chickens themselves. I haven't ever had to do it myself but I've heard that this can help in the early stages at least.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical

kaylee

Climate
Sub-Tropical
I know this is old but wanted to put it in here for anyone searching. I use the cattle ivermectin on my hens and roosters and its fine to use. Just use less of it. I just put 1mm on our roosters because they were covered and they are still doing fine.

Usually its about 5 drops for roosters and 4 for hens.

Grandmother Goose

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I know this is old but wanted to put it in here for anyone searching. I use the cattle ivermectin on my hens and roosters and its fine to use. Just use less of it. I just put 1mm on our roosters because they were covered and they are still doing fine.

Usually its about 5 drops for roosters and 4 for hens.
No forum thread ever gets too old for new information to be presented.

Homesteadhermit

Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Mark, I am in the US, and I am trying to find ivermectin for my chickens to treat for mites, lice, worms, etc. I found a pour on brand for cattle. It contains 5 mg of ivermectin per ml. Is this the right concentration for chickens? Would I still use 1 ml? Thank you. Traci
I've been told ivermectin isn't the best, caecal worms are pretty resilient which means blackhead persists. And mites and lice are better hit with topical. I am extra careful as I have a peacock/ducks/geese and chickens are hardy buggers used to some diseases that will be 90% fatal to a pheasant/peafowl/turkey flock.

For mites and lice I use avitrol mite and lice spray and then spray the bird once every 5-8 days for a few weeks, so I kill them with each hatch and breed cycle and can be sure they are gone.

Because my area is wet often, round worm and parasites/bacterial that have life cycle linked to them, like blackhead, they are prevalent. Vetafarm wormout has been recommended as most effective.

I recommend asking a Facebook group in your area what problems they encounter the most, as their active ingredients differ and target things better than others.

Top Bottom