I've run out of room!

DanRicho

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi all!

I've just stumbled across your forum and thought it best to jump on board. I'm hoping to learn as much as I can from the abundance of experience that you all have to contribute. I was especially chuffed to see that Mark from Self Sufficient Me is the Founder of this forum. I've enjoyed all of his U-Toob content thoroughly!

I've loved gardening since I was very young and even wrestled control of the family veggie patch from my mum while I was still in school. Now that i'm a little older and have my very own patch of dirt here in Brisvegas, I have filled it to capacity with various veggie patches and fruiting trees (yes, to capacity).

With regard to said fruiting trees, i'd be very interested to hear from anyone that has had success in grafting. I have a number of trees (including apple, plum and nashi pear) that require companions for pollination and thought of grafting these companions onto the existing trees (refer to thread title...).

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Dan welcome to the forum as you have already found lots of good stuff on here. Sounds like your back yard is great place to spend the day . Regards Dave

Matthew Duke

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
It's amusing to think that you could walk to a plum tree and pick a grafted nashi pear (which are amazing btw). Do keep bees as well?

(Welcome :) )

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I was especially chuffed to see that Mark from Self Sufficient Me is the Founder of this forum.
Yes, I'm the founder but you wouldn't think so since I'm hardly ever here... You've run out of room and I've run out of time!!! :)

I'm not too sure about those multi graft fruit salad trees - I don't have any and I haven't heard too much buzz about it unless it's grafting a similar variety eg apples on apples.

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Whilst I haven't run out of room, I mindful of what and how much I grow in my backyard to ensure sufficient sunlight (full and partial) for my fruit and veg beds. As such the available (allowable) space left that gets a good dose of sun all year round is now running out, thus I will be experimenting with one of these fruit salad citrus trees rather than try and cramp in several different citrus tress in which as group may impede each others growth.

So the fruit salad tree turned up today and will be planted tomorrow given it was 40c in Sydney today. Will advise over coming months how it's progressing and hopefully starting to flower, bud and produce fruit within the year.

Fingers crossed.

Flamin' Mongrel

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'm the opposite....Im ready to make use of lots of space in my new yard with fruit trees and food and vege gardens!
The challenge is my whole block is on a hill.
Welcome...

Matthew Duke

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Whilst I haven't run out of room, I mindful of what and how much I grow in my backyard to ensure sufficient sunlight (full and partial) for my fruit and veg beds. As such the available (allowable) space left that gets a good dose of sun all year round is now running out, thus I will be experimenting with one of these fruit salad citrus trees rather than try and cramp in several different citrus tress in which as group may impede each others growth.

Good luck, I think efficiency can be taken a little bit far myself, it's much simpler to expand. Lebensraum for my family!

Can these "fruit salad" trees produce plantable seeds?

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Can these "fruit salad" trees produce plantable seeds?

I suspect yes being the various fruits are grafted on but will find out in due course. :)

Top Bottom