Its Garlic Planting Time

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Did any of you read my article I wrote for Self Sufficient Me which Mark published at the end of March?
He was a bit late with that episode due to CV and his pc breaking. But still got it out in good time for us in the southern latitudes.

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Did any of you read my article I wrote for Self Sufficient Me which Mark published at the end of March?
He was a bit late with that episode due to CV and his pc breaking. But still got it out in good time for us in the southern latitudes.
Where are all these wonderful articles that you write ClissAt? Are they on the blog page, I'll try to get over there more often to look!!

Rabscuttle

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
For us in New England, it is indeed nearing garlic-planting time! This will be my first year planting garlic and I'm so excited! I had a hell of a time getting any, but Etsy has become my gardening secret weapon this year. I got a couple hard-neck varieties there (we're zone 5b so no soft-neck for me). I have a 3x4 foot bed planned out for garlic, and from what I've read, the plan is to plant it end of September or first-thing in October.

In anticipation of next year's crop, I'm currently experimenting with making black garlic. I've got a crockpot with 9 bulbs cooking away, and the smell isn't nearly as pronounced as I was led to believe it would be. :)

Robbie

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I've noticed a few new gardener here in tassie have started lifting there garlic please don't we have just reached the equinox where the day light is becoming longer then the night hours, this is when the garlic starts to form the bulbs and cloves. By now you should have 7 to 12 leaves and the time to lift them is when 1/3 to half of the bottom leaves have died off so a few months to go before lifting them ready to be cured.

Robbie

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Well about half of my garlic has witches broom or re-sprouting which ever you wish to call it. It has to do with temperature fluctuations a warm week or so when a cold snap for a few days it been like that for a couple of months, i won't harvest any just yet. They still have a few month to go. Anyway I can't cure them but can mince them and freeze into ice cubes.
In the photos you can see the main stem and a few smaller shoots, and there is little clove development

Attachments

• 20201024_140856.jpg
    20201024_140856.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 20201024_140758.jpg
    20201024_140758.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 163

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Damn Robbie...big garlic that...Elephant garlic?

I thought mine were on the way out. Started looking a tad sad, not growing up and started to fall over. Had a wee dig around one and saw them starting to get some bulb size and shape....Now just hurry up and wait.

Robbie

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Damn Robbie...big garlic that...Elephant garlic?

I thought mine were on the way out. Started looking a tad sad, not growing up and started to fall over. Had a wee dig around one and saw them starting to get some bulb size and shape....Now just hurry up and wait.
No not Elephant garlic was a purple variety had it for a few year it must be the garlic God telling me to start a fresh form new cloves lol. I still have some good garlic growing and I did buy some fresh cloves that half are OK as well. Just mother nature letting me know who's boss.

Reactions: GKW
Top Bottom